NBI Anti-Cybercrime to launch probe on fake topless photo of Catriona Gray
MANILA, Philippines — The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) on Tuesday said its Anti-Cybercrime Division will investigate the people behind the fake topless photo of Miss Universe 2018 Catriona Gray.
“The reason that the NBI will be conducting an investigation is to determine the persons accountable for posting in social media. Whoever they are, we will file charges against them. We have only one Cybercrime Division here, of course it’s the cybercrime who will handle this case,” NBI Deputy Director Vicente De Guzman said, in mixed Filipino and English, during a press briefing at the NBI Office in Manila when asked about NBI’s move on the controversial fake photo of Gray.
Gray’s lawyer said they have asked NBI’s assistance to identify those responsible for the spread of the malicious photo.
“This is the reason why we are seeking the help of the NBI to be able to identify these people behind the account,” Lawyer Chris Liquigan told reporters in a press briefing at the NBI Headquarters in Manila.
“These posts reek of malice. Obviously, the only intention is to tarnish my client, Ms. Catriona Gray,” he added.
The beauty queen’s legal team previously released a statement that Gray’s alleged topless photo making rounds online were “digitally altered.”
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.