ITZY EP 'Checkmate' debuts at 8th on Billboard 200 chart | Inquirer Entertainment

ITZY EP ‘Checkmate’ debuts at 8th on Billboard 200 chart

/ 02:53 PM July 25, 2022
itzy yonhap kh

A teaser image for K-pop girl group ITZY’s fifth EP, “Checkmate,” released July 15. Image: JYP Entertainment via The Korea Herald

South Korean girl group ITZY claimed its first top 10 spot on Billboard‘s main albums chart with its fifth EP “Checkmate.”

“ITZY’s Checkmate debuts at no. 8 on the Billboard 200, giving the South Korean quintet its first top 10 effort,” Billboard said Sunday (U.S. time) in a preview of the upcoming chart.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Billboard 200 ranks the most popular albums of the week in the U.S., measured by equivalent album units, comprising physical album sales and other digital sales records.

Released July 15, “Checkmate” earned 33,000 equivalent album units, of which album sales comprise 31,000.

FEATURED STORIES

Billboard said 98% of the album’s first-week sales were CDs, with the other 2% digital album sales.

ITZY’s previously highest-charted album was its first studio album, “Crazy in Love,” which reached 11th upon its release in September last year.

“Checkmate” has seven tracks, including the main single, “Sneakers,” with lyrics encouraging listeners to run as far as they can without hesitation in sneakers.

Starting next month, the K-pop quintet will hold its first-ever tour of American cities.

After kicking off the tour in Seoul on Aug. 6 to 7, the band will fly to the U.S. for concerts in Los Angeles, Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Chicago, Boston and New York until Nov. 13. All tickets for the U.S. concerts were sold out as soon as they were made available, according to the agency.

Debuting in 2019, the girl group has worked actively traveling between South Korea and Japan. It is known for “Dalla Dalla,” “ICY,” “Wannabe,” “Not Shy,” “In the Morning” and other hit songs.

It has also enjoyed popularity in the U.S., with “Crazy in Love” led by “Loco” reaching no. 11 on the Billboard 200 after its fourth EP, “Guess Who,” debuted at no. 148 in April last year. (Yonhap)/JB

ADVERTISEMENT

RELATED STORIES:

Pat Benatar won’t perform ‘Hit Me with Your Best Shot’ anymore

Pearl Jam cancels Vienna concert after heat, smoke damage Eddie Vedder’s throat

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Billboard 200, girl groups, ITZY, K-Pop, Music Charts
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our entertainment news

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.