Singer has become too big for his britches
Good looks or the ability to carry a tune is no excuse to behave badly or unprofessionally, especially if you still haven’t proven anything in the music industry. After all, Filipinos and Fil-Am talents are known for their performing skills the world over.
Take newcomer Mister Filipino (MF). When MF joined a popular singing tilt, it wasn’t hard for music fans to rally behind him because he seemed shy and unpretentious.
But Seasoned Journo (SJ) got the surprise of his life when he realized how quickly FM has become too big for his britches. It didn’t take long before FM’s press releases reached SJ. So, even if FM didn’t make it to the Top 3 of the competition, SJ still asked FM’s handler for an interview to help drum up interest for FM’s new album. Yes, SJ was ready to adjust to the new singer’s schedule.
As it turned out, FM’s schedule wasn’t the only thing SJ was “expected” to adjust to.
First, FM and his handlers asked SJ not to ask about the talent search that introduced FM to mainstream audiences—an odd request that SJ found hypocritical because FM’s press releases had references to the popular talent search. Just the same, SJ agreed to honor FM’s request.
Next, FM kept moving the interview date. And when SJ agreed, FM’s team had another “request”—they asked for a list of questions. None of the Superstars SJ interviewed had asked for preapproved questions. Still, SJ said yes, just to get it over and done with.
But when FM started “censoring” very tame, noncontroversial questions, SJ thought FM was already acting like a star that he never was. If FM is already this “difficult,” “feeling entitled” and maarte to deal with, how much more if he really becomes famous?,” SJ told the PR person arranging the interview.
So, when FM’s handlers finally forwarded the Zoom link to SJ for the interview, SJ told them that he changed his mind. Yes, he decided never to touch FM with a 10-foot pole again. “The nerve,” he quipped. “Good riddance!”
TOP OF THE TABLOIDS
This week’s top show biz news from the tabloids (and why we are moved, if we are moved):
• Sey ni Angel Aquino, ‘Probinsyano’ sasabak na sa ultimate last lock-in taping: Naka-ending mode na kami. (‘Di nga? When, 2031?)
• Pati pagkain ni Heart Evangelista ng fried chicken sosyalin. (Why? Palagi bang may kasamang … Chiz? Tee-hee.)
• Coleen Garcia nagka-postpartum anxiety matapos manganak: Sa totoo lang parang praning na talaga. (Nobody said motherhood was going to be easy, celebrity or not.)
• Kim Molina rumesbak sa basher na tumawag ng ‘panget, mukhang basurero’ kay Jerald Napoles. (Ouch naman.)
• Janine Gutierrez umaming super fan ni Bela Padilla: Napakahusay! (From one fine actress to another.)
• Kris Bernal pinainit ang socmed sa topless photo; dedma sa tuksong ‘pandak, anorexic, butiki, kawayan.’ (One man’s meat is another person’s poison.)
• Banta ni Marjorie Barretto sa mga naninira kay Julia: Buhay na buhay pa ang nanay niya! (We’re shaking in our boots.)
The hottest entertainment news straight to your inbox
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.