Celebrities back ABS-CBN amid Jimmy Bondoc’s tirades
MANILA, Philippines — Celebrities aired their support for ABS-CBN after singer Jimmy Bondoc said he was excited to see the closure of the “biggest television network.”
While Bondoc did not name the network, personalities thanked and defended ABS-CBN for the opportunities it has given to them and other artists.
Actress Sunshine Cruz expressed thanks to the network for helping her rebuild her career in 2013.
“Year 2013. Nung panahong lugmok ako, walang pera, walang matirahan, ABS-CBN ang nagbigay ng tsansa na makabalik ang isang katulad kong bagsak na bagsak ang moral. I will always be GRATEFUL to them,” Cruz wrote Thursday in a Facebook post.
Cruz also pointed out she will never be happy about thousands of people losing their jobs should the network shut down as Bondoc wished.
“Hindi ako kailanman magagalak na mawalan ng trabaho o pangkabuhayan ang nakararaming tao na nagtatrabaho ng maayos para matulungan ang kanilang pamilya dahil kailanman ay hindi ito tama,” she said.
“Hindi dapat ipagbunyi ang pagkawala o pagsasara ng isang company na nakakatulong sa maraming tao at pamilya,” she added.
But Bondoc earlier clarified he is not happy to see people losing their jobs and explained that closing down can mean “change of ownership,” hence employees will be retained.
Kapamilya singer Angeline Quinto was saddened by Bondoc’s post whom she considered as a colleague and friend.
“Bilang isang singer, hindi ko kinakaya ang nakikita kong post galing sayo Kuya. Hinahangaan pa naman din kita bilang katrabaho at bilang kaibigan,” Quinto said.
“Nalulungkot ako kasi ABS-CBN ang naging pangalawang tahanan ko. Oo hindi pa ako kasing tagal ng ibang nagtatrabaho sa estasyon na ito, pero para ganun ang maging hiling mo para sa ABS-CBN hindi ko kaya Kuya,” she added.
Singer Ronnie Liang, on the other hand, outright disagreed with Bondoc and said they should instead be thankful to the network.
“I Disagree w/ Jimmy Bondoc, bro we should thank #abscbn for helping people to achieve their dreams giving them hope&chance to share their talents,we should be grateful as well to them for being productive & serving the filipino people worldwide providing us a lot of awesome shows,” Liang said in a tweet.
Meanwhile, Bondoc said he was surprised his post reached celebrities and shared an employee of the network even dared him to a fist fight.
“Nagulat ako na umabot na sa mga antas ng mga sikat na bitwin na yung mga nagrereply. At ayokong babuyin o bastusin yung kanilang reaksyon,” Bondoc said Thursday in a video on Facebook.
“May isang ABS employee na hinamon pa ‘ko ng suntukan. Tinawagan ko at nung nagkausap kami, nag-sorry naman siya at nag-sorry din ako. Sabi ko, ‘Pare pag binasa mo naman ‘yung post ko malinaw naman na ito ay tungkol sa organisasyon at hindi doon sa mga empleyado,’” he added.
Actress Angel Locsin also earlier called out Bondoc regarding his post and said he should not “wish ill of others.”
President Rodrigo Duterte previously threatened to block ABS-CBN’s franchise renewal that will expire in 2020. This was after the network allegedly did not air his campaign advertisement that was already paid during the 2016 presidential election. (Editor: Jonathan P. Vicente)
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.