Showbiz Roundup: Boobay’s ‘silent seizure,’ Tito Sotto on Eat Bulaga’s ‘rebonding’
Boobay’s “silent seizure” while on live interview with Boy Abunda, and Tito Sotto’s revelations about the supposed “rebonding” of “Eat Bulaga” were among the hottest showbiz topics in the last week of April.
On the other hand, Heart Evangelista’s luxurious grocery bag was a cause for amusement among readers, while Amy Perez showing her support for Karla Estrada taking as the host of “Face 2 Face” also caught their attention.
Be in the loop with a roundup of the latest entertainment news from April 21 to 27:
Boobay’s health scare while on live interview
Boobay was in the middle of a question-and-answer segment during the live episode of “Fast Talk with Boy Abunda” last April 20, when the comedian suddenly went silent and just continued to nodd while looking at the TV host.
At that time, Abunda was recalling the audition tape the comedian had submitted to GMA which started his showbiz career, but the latter failed to utter any words, prompting the TV host to ask: “Are you okay?”
The TV host then stood up from his seat to hug Boobay. A production staff then assisted Boobay, while Abunda told the director to take a short break.
After the break, Boobay continued the interview and explained that a similar instance happened to him during a taping of “The Boobay and Tekla Show” held the day before.
“Sinabi naman ng doktor sa akin before na mangyayari talaga ‘yun after nung nangyari sa akin na na-hospital ako. After daw no’n, maaaring mag-hang daw ako,” he added, referring to when he suffered from stroke in 2016. “The best thing you can do is parang mag-stop ka lang until hayaan mong bumalik sa dati ‘yung pag-ikot mo.”
(I was informed by my doctor that it might really happen after I was hospitalized [in 2016]—that I might become [unresponsive at certain instances]. The best thing I can do [when such happens] is to stay still until I become OK again.)
The comedian, whose real name is Norman Balbuena, said that although he was advised not to exhaust himself, he does not want to miss the opportunities given to him. He shared that he considers performing for the public as his way of resting, adding he wants to save up for himself as long as he is able to do so.
Boobay also spoke about his emotional stability after ending in 2021 his eight-year relationship with his former partner. The comedian admitted he still tried to patch things up between them by going on a trip together last month, but it did not work out. Despite this, they still remain friends.
Boobay’s health condition
Abunda also gave an account of what happened during his live interview with Boobay, recalling how he initially thought the comedian was just getting emotional when he became unresponsive.
“When he was booked to come to the show, I was told na may nangyari kay Boobay,” Abunda stated during his conversation with actor Dingdong Dantes in “Fast Talk with Boy Abunda” last April 21. “It wasn’t clear. Ang nakarating sa amin ay nagkaroon ng mild stroke. “I remembered telling the staff, ‘Huy, i-postpone muna natin para makarecover [kasi] baka he’s not feeling well.’”
However, Boobay insisted on coming to the show and even expressed excitement to do the “Fast Talk,” and when the latter arrived at the studio, “there was no indication that he was not feeling well.”
“Akala ko iiyak. Akala ko he was getting emotional because he was remembering how he started. So pinapanood ko lang siya. After a few seconds—instinct e— sabi ko, ‘Something is wrong’ … Nilapitan ko na kasi I instinctively felt that something was wrong. Niyakap ko and medyo ‘yung weight niya, alam mong [nakasandal] na sa ‘yo,” Abunda said, adding that he didn’t mind the cameras because the life of anyone “will always be more important”
During the break, the staff of the show made a request for doctors and nurses, who immediately came to the set. Abunda said Boobay became well again after a few minutes and explained to the TV host that it was one of his “silent or mild seizures,” which was what also happened to him a day before.
Abunda then shared that Boobay insisted on continuing the interview and that he was given further medical attention after the show. The TV host also noted that while he admires the latter for being hardworking, the comedian should take good care of his health given his condition.
Boobay suffered from a stroke in 2016, and has since been experiencing instances wherein he suddenly becomes unresponsive. The comedian said that although he was advised by his doctors not to exhaust himself, he said doesn’t want to miss the opportunities given to him as it’s his way of resting.
Tito Sotto ‘giving light to what is true’
Tito Sotto felt that he needed to “give light to what is true” on the controversy surrounding “Eat Bulaga” after the supposed “false statements” made by TAPE executive, Dapitan Mayor Bullet Jalosjos, with the TV host disclosing that the production company still owes Vic Sotto and Joey de Leon P30 million each.
Through an episode of “Updated with Nelson Canlas” last April 25, Tito aired his disappointment over Bullet’s earlier interview with Boy Abunda which, according to Sotto, was made despite their agreement to “let sleeping dogs lie.”
When asked what currently is happening in “Eat Bulaga,” Tito claimed that the board of directors of TAPE wanted show producer Tony Tuviera to retire for them to take over the production of the noontime show.
Sotto then explained how “Eat Bulaga” was formerly under Production Specialist, which was owned by Romy Jalosjos and was shut down in 1979. Mainstays TVJ along with Tuviera then decided to continue the show with their “blood, sweat and tears” for a year until TAPE was founded in 1981 and started producing the show.
Tito noted that they had discussed their concerns with the Jalosjos family and both parties eventually reached an agreement. However, Sotto said that they were taken aback when Bullet “told the media something else.”
He also pointed out how they find questionable the production company’s claim that there are losses, revealing how the show production was informed that “a little over P400 million pesos of political ads that were placed in ‘Eat Bulaga’ vanished.”
During the interview, Sotto also disclosed that Vic gets deducted with Value-Added Tax (VAT) even when the latter does not receive his salary. When asked how that happened, Tito replied, “Ask TAPE.”
He also spoke of Bullet’s statement about the show’s “rebonding,” with the TV host saying, “I don’t know what he means by rebonding. Ano ire-rebond mo, samahan? We were there for almost 44 years. Wala naman kaming nakita sa kanila. They never participated.”
“Masagwang pakinggan sa amin ‘yung mare-retain kami. Para bang pwede kaming sipain, e kami nga ang ‘Eat Bulaga.’ Kaya my unsolicited advice to them ay mag-ingat naman kayo sa mga bitaw ng salita dahil nakakasakit ‘yung salita ninyo. Para namang napakakawawa namin. I think it’s improper. That kind of statement is improper,” he said.
When asked if he is willing to “sever ties” with the production company over the controversy, Tito answered, “Let’s cross the bridge when we get there.”
Heart’s unique grocery bag
Heart Evangelista once again caught the attention of fans after she went grocery shopping using a bag from a luxury brand Chanel as her grocery bag last April 18.
This immediately elicited funny remarks from fans, with some saying how the grocery items were more affordable than the shopping bag.
“Sinampal na naman po tayo ng kahirapan. Afford bilhin ‘yung corned beef at prutas pero yung bag hindi,” one @berryohann said.
“Naggo-grocery din ako pero hindi naman ako gumaganda ng ganyan. Siguro dapat meron din ako Chanel grocery bag,” an Instagram user that goes by the handle @captured_memories_01 commented.
Meanwhile, Evangelista recently bonded with Bea Alonzo with whom she found an “unexpected friendship.” Aside from Alonzo, Evangelista was also earlier seen reuniting with her ex-boyfriend, actor Jericho Rosales, as well as actors Piolo Pascual, John Lloyd Cruz, Maja Salvador and Diether Ocampo, among others.
‘Umpisahan mo ang show bilang ikaw, hindi ako’
Karla Estrada has revealed that “Face 2 Face” original host Amy Perez advised her to take charge of the community center-inspired show without the pressure to live up to the original.
Estrada admitted that she felt “pressured” to live up to the TV5 show’s legacy during a media conference, saying she even sought advice from Perez and Gelli de Belen, who took over as host until 2012.
“Napakaraming binigay na tips sa akin si Ate Amy [Perez] dahil magkaibigan naman talaga kami. In fact, tiyahin ni Daniel [Padilla] ‘yan. Matagal na kaming nag-uusap about this. Humingi ako ng advice dahil of course, si Tyang Amy talaga ang nag-umpisa nito. Ang sabi niya, ‘Umpisahan mo ang [bagong] show bilang ikaw, hindi ako,’” she said.
The singer-host then expressed her gratitude to Perez and de Belen for being supportive as she is set to take the reins of the show.
When asked about Magdangal’s absence, Estrada clarified that there is no bad blood between her former co-hosts in the ABS-CBN morning talk show.
“Hindi ko naisip [na may alitan] kasi kilala ko si Momshie [Jolina Magdangal]. May mga reasons na tayo na dapat irespeto bilang kaibigan. Hindi ako judgmental sa mga kaibigan ko. Ang importante is that, magkaibigan kami. Ayokong bigyan ng meaning si Jolina kasi siya ‘yun. So, I don’t think na merong problemang personal,” she said. EDV