Showbiz Roundup: ABS-CBN concedes GMA now ‘number one station,’ Liza Soberano trades barbs with Ogie Diaz
The second week of March is filled with entertainment news about an end to long-standing network war between ABS-CBN and GMA, and another installment to Liza Soberano’s career issues.
ABS-CBN executive Laurenti Dyogi conceded that GMA is now the “number one station,” while the Kapamilya network shifts to digital content, while Soberano and her erstwhile talent manager Ogie Diaz trade barbs over their business relationship and talent fees. Meanwhile, John Lloyd Cruz and Lyca Gairanod open up about their respective relationships.
Allow us to refresh your memory by sharing the hottest showbiz news that dominated INQUIRER.net’s headlines from the week of March 10 to 16.
John Lloyd and Isabel’s new furbaby
John Lloyd Cruz and his rumored girlfriend, artist Isabel Santos, visited an animal rescue shelter in Tanauan, Batangas, looking for a dog they will adopt, as seen in the social media accounts of animal rescue service Strays Worth Saving (SWS).
“SWS is blessed to have beautiful couple John Lloyd and Isabel visit the SWS shelter today!!! They are looking to adopt one of our rescues, and there is no better way to do it than meet the candidates themselves,” SWS wrote in its Instagram post.
The artist also shared photos of their bonding moments with the rescued dogs at the shelter on her Instagram account, where she thanked the SWS’ staff for allowing them to visit.
Neither Cruz nor Santos has confirmed dating rumors since they first sparked dating speculations in 2021, as of this writing.
However, they have been seen together on several occasions, including on the actor’s birthday in June last year and their recent nature trip in Tanay, Rizal, with Cruz’s son, Elias, among many others.
READ: LOOK: John Lloyd Cruz and rumored GF visit animal shelter to adopt a dog
GMA is the ‘number one station’
ABS-CBN’s head of TV production Laurenti Dyogi confirmed during an ambush interview with reporters that the company is now operating as a “content creator” while GMA is currently the “number one station,” when he was asked about the recent collaboration between the two amid their decades-old rivalry.
“For now, you need to understand that we’re not a network anymore because we don’t have a franchise. We’re a media company, we’re a content creator now. So, wherever we can bring our content with the biggest reach. And we have to recognize that GMA has the biggest reach right now because they’re the number one station,” he said.
The TV executive also thanked GMA network for “opening their doors,” as well as free-to-air channels A2Z and TV5 and OTT platforms for “keeping [ABS-CBN] alive” for the past three years.
“We’re very thankful to [GMA Network] for opening their doors to partner with us, the same way that A2Z has been with us from the start. And Channel 5, and all the other OTT platforms that have been collaborating with us, maraming maraming salamat (thank you very much). You keep us alive. We’ve been struggling for the past three years and sa awa ng Diyos, nandito pa rin kami (thanks to the Lord, we’re still here),” he said.
Dyogi, when asked about a photo of what appeared to be a meeting between ABS-CBN and GMA’s executives, admitted it was a meeting to talk about “future plans.” The photo showed GMA honchos Annette Gozon-Valdes, Joy Marcelo, Lilibeth Rasonable, and Joey Abacan, together with ABS-CBN’s filmmaker Deo Edrinal, Cory Vidanes and Dyogi.
READ: Rival networks no more: ABS-CBN exec Laurenti Dyogi says GMA is ‘number one station’
‘Kwento niya ‘yon’
Ogie Diaz revealed that he was not offended by the first part of Liza Soberano’s interview with Boy Abunda, as he clarified that his vlog recorded last March 11 didn’t include his reactions to the second part of Soberano’s interview, which was released last March 13.
“Hangga’t maaari, hangga’t kaya kong unawain ang dati kong alaga na hanggang ngayon naman ay anak-anakan ko, ay hindi para magsalita tayo or kontrahin siya kung ano ‘yung paniniwala niya, kasi paniniwala ‘yon ni Liza,” he said. (As long as I can be understanding to my former talent, who I still treat as my child until now, I am not speaking or going against what she believes in because it is her belief.)
“Sa tono ng pananalita ni Liza, may himig siya ng hinampo sa akin, pero ako wala—galit, tampo—wala. Lagi ‘yung prayers ko na sana ay nasa maayos na lagay si Liza, nasa maayos yung kanyang mindset at state of mind,” he continued. “Hindi para kontrahin si Liza [kasi] kwento niya ‘yon e.”
(Considering Liza’s tone [in the vlog], she seems to have ill feelings towards me but me, I have none towards her. I always pray that she is in a good state, with the right mindset and state of mind. I would not speak against her because she is just telling her story.)
Diaz said that he does not want to talk about the issue anymore because he does not feel the need to discuss to the public how they managed Soberano.
“Nakakapagod na rin naman itong mga sagut-sagutan… At the end of the day, naging Liza Soberano siya, ‘yun ang importante,” he said. (This exchange of responses has become tiring. At the end of the day, what’s important is she became Liza Soberano.)
Diaz, however, admitted that he gets hurt whenever Soberano is being subjected to bashing because of her statements, noting how he feels sorry as a father figure to the actress.
He also pointed out that he does not need apologies from the actress because he does not take any offense at Soberano’s statements. But still, Diaz said he is saddened by the recent exchange of statements from both parties.
The talent manager also shared his side of the story to the second part of the “Forevermore” star’s interview in a follow-up vlog, where he defended that he’s not making up any lies against the actress.
READ: Ogie Diaz says no need to speak against Liza Soberano: ‘Kwento niya ‘yon’
‘Anong lies? Wala akong lies’
Meanwhile, Diaz addressed Soberano’s claim that she only initially received 30 percent of her talent fee. The actress claimed last March 15, days after the second part of the actress’ interview with Boy Abunda that Diaz’s commission was 30 percent, his co-manager Tita Joni at 20 percent, and Star Magic, 10 percent.
Soberano, who said this during an earlier interview with Boy Abunda, noted that these eventually changed as her managers agreed to cuts, with Diaz getting 20 percent and her Tita Joni 15 percent.
Diaz dismissed this and said that Soberano was able to get 63 percent from her talent fee because he was only entitled to 20% commission, Star Magic 10 percent, and Tita Joni 7 percent, which Diaz said was the 10 percent of Soberano’s 70 percent. Diaz also pointed out that it was he who decided to reduce their fees and not her Tita Joni.
Diaz then talked about his supposed absence in Soberano’s tapings and photoshoots, explaining that he visited her, although not often, in her tapings. Diaz said he even flew to New York using his own money to accompany the actress in one of her projects.
“Another issue that Diaz addressed was the claim he no longer received commission fees during the last two years of his contract with Soberano. He maintained he never said such a statement and confirmed he received a paycheck last month from Soberano’s endorsement.
“Wala ho akong sinabi na hindi na ako tumatanggap ng komisyon. Ang sinasabi ko po ay hindi na tumatanggap si Liza ng mga project dahil nga papunta na siya doon sa ibang direksyon,” he stated. “Naghihintay na lang siya na matapos ang kontrata.”
(I did not say that I was no longer getting commission [in the last two years of our contract]. What I said is that Liza no longer accepted projects because she was going in a different direction. She was just waiting for the contract to end.)
“‘Yun pang isa na I am making up lies. Anong lies? Wala akong lies,” he stressed. “Hindi tumagos sa puso ko [kasi] alam ko kung ano ‘yung sinasabi ko,” he further added. (Another [thing she said was that] I am making up lies. What lies? I said no lies. It did not affect me emotionally because I know what I said.)
READ: Ogie Diaz responds to accusations he ‘makes up lies’ about Liza Soberano: ‘Anong lies? Wala akong lies’
The start of Lyca and Kyle’s romance
Lyca Gairanod revealed that her relationship with non-showbiz boyfriend, American Kyle Walle started from the latter’s direct message on the video app Tiktok at a March 8 episode of the morning show “Magandang Buhay.”
The singer also noted that while she was the first one to comment on one of Walle’s posts, it was him who messaged her first.
“Actually, ito nga po ‘yung nakakatawa. Hindi niya ako kilala as an artist. Nakita ko po siya sa Tiktok kasi dumaan siya sa [For You page] ko noong pa-scroll scroll lang [ako],” she replied.
(Actually, what made it funny was that he didn’t know me as an artist. I saw him on Tiktok since his video appeared on my For You page when I was scrolling.)
During the interview, Gairanod also revealed that Walle is her first boyfriend, and that they have been maintaining a long-distance relationship when the latter flew to the United States. EDV
READ: Lyca Gairanod says non-showbiz boyfriend messaged her first on Tiktok
Showbiz Roundup: Dominique Cojuangco says ‘I do,’ Liza Soberano’s ‘Hello, Love Goodbye’ offer
Showbiz Roundup: From Pacquiao couple’s stronger bond to Alex Gonzaga’s ‘unprofessionalism’
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.