Kris Aquino confirms split with ex-DILG chief Mel Sarmiento to focus on health, sons
MANILA, Philippines — Kris Aquino has confirmed that she and former Interior Secretary Mel Sarmiento have parted ways — both of them acknowledging that the actress and TV host has to focus on her health and her sons.
On Monday, Aquino posted photos on her Instagram account showing her being checked for her autoimmune disease along with screenshots of her last conversation with Sarmiento, who accepted her offer to let him go.
“Sa pinagdadaanan ko ngayon, may tao bang gustong pagusapan pa ang kanyang paghihiwalay? But in order for me to peacefully move on, and focus on myself and my health, because my sons still need me […] I must end this chapter,” Aquino said in one of the slides on her post.
“I will just post screenshots of Mel’s last text message to me. After that you will never read nor hear anything at all about him from me, because I still want to preserve whatever dignity I have left,” she added.
In another card, Aquino showed Sarmiento’s message where he was planning to join her for her medical checkups, but he eventually decided against it because he had been exposed to several individuals and may risk getting Aquino infected, which would only worsen her medical condition.
“I’m not sure if the people that I had close contact at the mall, especially my barber, is negative or not, and this can only be confirmed if I do a test on the 4th day and this is day 1 for me since I got exposed to people in the mall. I’m reminded of what your doctor cousin told me, the responsibility of making sure you don’t get COVID given your autoimmune (condition),” Sarmiento said.
“Given my nature, who loves to go out, I accept that I already have a bubble fatigue and will not be able to, sad to say, be able to continue living in a bubble. On that note, with a heavy heart, I accepted your offer of letting me go. For I cannot in conscience be able to accept that something will happen to you brought about (by) my going out of the bubble,” he added.
“I will always cherish the happy moments we had together. I do love you, but I guess this is goodbye for your life is of greatest importance given that you have Bimby and Josh to take care of. You will forever be in my heart,” he added.
Earlier, netizens noticed that photos of Sarmiento on Aquino’s Instagram had been deleted — fueling speculations that the pair had ended their relationship.
The split came just months after they announced their engagement last October. ATM
The hottest entertainment news straight to your inbox
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.