Cautionary lessons from reality show upstarts
He who refuses to acknowledge his past will have difficulty reaching his future. And this is one lesson that should be heeded by anybody who wants a career in Tinseltown.
Two reality show newbies may have learned this lesson the hard way when they began letting relative fame go to their heads, like Brooding Singer (BS) and Quirky Entertainer (QE). Without question, there’s something unique about BS and QE that quickly set them apart from their colleagues in the respective reality shows they participated in.
But as Seasoned Reporter (SR) aptly noted, BS and QE have also allowed overconfidence to get in the way of the opportunities that are coming their way.
SR got the shock of his life when BS refused to talk about the show that introduced him to mainstream audiences. For SR, however, QE was notches more annoying than BS because it was BS’ handlers’ idea to pitch the interview with SR.
But just as the interview with QE was about to start, he suddenly began demanding setting “conditions” for the interview. So, when QE said he wasn’t answering questions about the show that “made” him popular, SR thought it was time to put his foot down. He quipped, “He isn’t even famous yet, but he’s already grown horns!” So, SR canceled the interview, exactly the same way he canceled the interview with BS. Good riddance. INQ TOP OF THE TABLOIDS
This week’s top show biz news from the tabloids (and why we are moved, if we are moved):
• Paalala ng SethDrea sa kabataan, matalinong pagboto: Wag tatanggap ng P500, bilyon ang kapalit niyan! (Now these are idols worth emulating…)
• Marvin Agustin todo sorry sa mga customers: We will do better. (Let’s hope we hear more of these lines from arrogant government officials.)
• Hirit ni Janno Gibbs: Pasko na po, tigilan n’yo na iyang bold … mahiya naman kayo sa mga anak n’yo. (Is that line meant for viewers or producers and directors?)
• Joey Marquez, Alma Moreno napaluha nang malamang buntis si Winwyn: Buntis ka? Kailan pa ‘yan? Ilang buwan? (Obviously, walang chat group ang pamilyang ito.)
• Allan K, Ahron Villena nagkakamabutihan na nga ba? (Well, stranger things are known to happen.)
• Zoren Legaspi kakaibang iyak ang ipinakita sa ‘The End Of Us.’ (Is there any other way to cry? Did he do it with his nose?)
• Liza Soberano agad na lumipad patungong Amerika, humiling na sana’y maabutan pang buhay ang lola. (You and your lola are in our thoughts, Liza.)
• Jane de Leon nakaranas ng wardrobe malfunction sa ABS-CBN Christmas special; nagtago sa likod ni Joshua Garcia. (“Accidents” happen, even to Darna.)
• Gerald Anderson nagpaabot ng donasyon sa mga biktima ng bagyong “Odette.” (Good job, Gerald.)
• “Bubble Gang” babe Ashley Rivera hindi kinaya ang powers ni John Lloyd Cruz. (That’s what “star power” is all about.)