outbrain
Close  

Hollywood Bowl cancels summer concerts due to coronavirus

/ 06:07 PM May 14, 2020
Diana Ross

Diana Ross was among the artists scheduled to perform this summer at the Hollywood Bowl. Image: AFP/Robyn Beck

The Hollywood Bowl scrapped its entire summer concert season Wednesday due to the coronavirus crisis, in a “devastating” move that leaves the Los Angeles Philharmonic with an $80 million shortfall.

The famous open-air California venue has hosted acts from the Beatles to Yo-Yo Ma over nearly a century, and its concerts from June through September are a staple of Los Angeles cultural life.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We are all broken-hearted by the effects of this crisis and share the disappointment of all those who look forward to the Bowl” concerts, said Los Angeles Philharmonic Association CEO Chad Smith in a statement.

It marks the first summer without concerts since the venue, known for its distinctive shell-shaped stage nestled in the Hollywood Hills, opened in 1922.

FEATURED STORIES

Andrea Bocelli, Bob Dylan and Diana Ross were among the artists scheduled to perform this summer. The venue also hosts film screenings and sing-alongs.

The move confirms a precarious financial situation for the LA Philharmonic, which co-manages the Bowl and schedules its summer season.

The company had already scrapped spring concerts at the downtown Walt Disney Concert Hall and drawn on its endowment.

On Wednesday, it announced further cost-cutting measures for the summer. A quarter of non-union employees and the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra will be furloughed, on top of previous salary reductions and part-time layoffs.

“We are doing what is necessary to ensure that we are all here for the next century,” added Smith.

California has registered nearly 70,000 cases of coronavirus so far with more than 2,800 deaths. Los Angeles County alone accounts for nearly half the cases and more than half the deaths.

Los Angeles mayor Eric Garcetti has warned that large gatherings including concerts and sporting events may not resume this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

“This decision makes me heartsick for all the County residents who have made the Bowl and the Ford a treasured ritual of each summer, although this is the best decision to make in the face of the threat from the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Los Angeles County supervisor Sheila Kuehl. RGA

RELATED STORIES: 

San Diego Comic-Con is going virtual this year

Sydney Film Festival to adopt 100% virtual format

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: coronavirus, covid-19, Diana Ross, Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.