Close  

Mariel defends dad Christopher de Leon for decision to get COVID-19 test

/ 04:07 PM March 23, 2020

Image: Instagram/@mariadeleonofficial

 

MANILA, Philippines — Mariel de Leon came to the defense of her father, Christopher de Leon, who was called out for getting tested for the coronavirus disease 2019 or COVID-19.

ADVERTISEMENT

The veteran actor’s name was among those in a list of “Politicians/personalities na hindi sumunod sa (who did not follow) COVID-19 testing protocols” posted on Twitter by one @EngrJS.

According to the triage system of the Department of Health (DOH), individuals prioritized for testing are as follows: those who exhibit symptoms, have traveled to countries with COVID-19, or those in contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case.

FEATURED STORIES

Christopher, 63, announced last week that he tested positive for the disease and that his family and house help are under quarantine.

Mariel, however, explained Monday her dad’s decision on Twitter, stating that he was already sick before he got tested and that her mom, actress Sandy Andolong, has health issues. 

“My dad works a lot (events, tapings, shooting) so he’s always exposed to many people. Before he got tested, he was sick and decided to quarantine himself in the house. After it persisted, he decided to go to the doctors to take the test,” she said.

“Like everyone else there, he had to wait hours in line because they ran out of tests that morning/afternoon so they had to wait longer. He was more worried about my mom because she is a kidney transplant patient (among other health issues).”

ADVERTISEMENT

“She’s not healthy and she is definitely immunocompromised. Also, they live with other elders including my lola,” she further clarified. 

She added, “So idk maybe don’t assume things without confirming first?”

The model, now based in New York, gave her sentiments too on how the Philippine government was handling the coronavirus crisis, following reports that asymptomatic government officials and their families were tested. “But yes. The government is shit. They need to do better. We all need to do better.”

DOH said on Monday afternoon that the number of people infected with COVID-19 in the Philippines increased to 462, as it recorded 82 more individuals positive for the highly-infectious respiratory disease caused by the novel coronavirus or SARS-CoV-2.

KGA

RELATED STORIES

DOH justifies COVID-19 testing of asymptomatic gov’t officials

ABS-CBN’s ‘Pantawid ng Pag-ibig’ concert raises P237 M 

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Follow @NGunoINQ on Twitter
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: 2019-nCoV, China, Christopher de Leon, coronavirus, covid-19, DOH, Health, local news, Mariel De Leon, nCoV, NCOV Update, news, novel coronavirus, outbreak, Pandemic, Philippine news updates, Philippines, virus, Wuhan
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.