Close  

Israeli Opera to host Placido Domingo despite protest

/ 04:29 PM February 20, 2020
Placido Domingo

While American outlets have dropped Placido Domingo, he continues to perform in Europe. AP Photo/Laszlo Balogh, File

JERUSALEM — Despite objections from sexual abuse activists, the Israeli Opera will host a weeklong singing competition organized by Spanish opera star Placido Domingo in Tel Aviv later this year.

Domingo, 80, has withdrawn from all U.S. performances since reports by The Associated Press last year detailed accusations of sexual harassment or other inappropriate, sexually charged conduct.

ADVERTISEMENT

While American outlets have dropped Domingo, he continues to perform in Europe. He received a standing ovation in Milan in December and had two sold-out shows in Berlin in January.

Domingo’s Operalia, an annual opera singing competition, will take place at Tel Aviv’s opera house from Oct. 22 to 28.

FEATURED STORIES

The Israeli Opera’s decision to host Domingo in spite of the allegations against him has angered Israeli activists.

The Association of Rape Crisis Centers in Israel wrote on its Facebook page that “the entire world is renouncing the serial assaulter, and only Israel receives him with open arms.”

“But leave it to the Israel Opera to receive someone who in other places has turned into an outcast in light of his actions, and gladly announced his arrival to the country,” the organization said.

An op-ed piece in the Hebrew daily Haaretz called the institution “disconnected and outdated” for welcoming Domingo “as though there was no such thing as the #MeToo movement.”

The Israeli Opera said in a statement that it has a “very strict policy” against any kind of harassment but said there has been “no official report” about the AP claims.

“Since many leading opera houses around the world decided to continue to invite Mr. Domingo to perform on their stages,” it added, “the Israeli Opera saw no reason not to act in the same way.”

Domingo spent three of his early years as an opera performer as a resident at Tel Aviv’s opera in the 1960s. NVG

ADVERTISEMENT

RELATED STORIES:

Disputing harassment claims, Placido Domingo says he’s a gentleman

Placido Domingo’s accusers: Nothing ‘chivalrous’ about groping women

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: #MeToo, Opera, Placido Domingo, sexual abuse, sexual misconduct
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.