Liza Soberano withdraws from ‘Darna’
MANILA, Philippines — Liza Soberano has withdrawn from her movie project “Darna,” citing medical reasons.
ABS-CBN announced the news in a statement on Thursday.
“ABS-CBN and Star Cinema regretfully announce their acceptance of Liza Soberano’s decision to withdraw from the ‘Darna’ movie project due to medical reasons,” the statement read.
The network said Soberano suffered a finger bone fracture at the set of her drama fantasy series “Bagani” last year.
The 21-year-old actress is still undergoing treatment and recovering from the trauma.
“Unfortunately, after consultation with her doctors, it was deemed best for Liza not to pursue the project as the injury shall hamper her from effectively doing the movie stunts required,” ABS-CBN said.
“ABS-CBN and Star Cinema understand Liza’s condition, respect her decision, and wish her well on her recovery,” it added.
ABS-CBN said it remains committed to continuing the preparation for “Darna” alongside Star Cinema and “have started the selection process for the new actress who will bring the iconic character to life on the big screen.”
Soberano started filming “Darna” in July 2018 when director Erik Matti still handled the project.
Matti stepped down as director of the film in October 2018 due to “creative differences” with Star Cinema. He was replaced by director Jerrold Tarog. /ee
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.