Nicko Falcis’ camp says Taguig prosecutor’s decision ‘unjust’
MANILA, Philippines — The Taguig City Prosecutor’s decision to indict Nicko Falcis of estafa is “unjust,” Falcis’ camp said on Wednesday.
“We believe this is an unjust decision,” Falcis’ lawyer Atty. Regi Ponferrada said in a statement.
This was after the Taguig City Prosecutor found a probable cause to charge Falcis with estafa, while also dismissing the qualified theft complaint of Aquino against him.
“Moreover, last November 2018, we filed a Motion for Inhibition and to Refer the Case to the Department of Justice because of certain circumstances that have led us to lose faith and confidence in the impartiality of the Office of the City Prosecutor of Taguig City,” Ponferrada said.
“The same was not acted upon and its denial was incorporated in the Resolution of the Office of the City Prosecutor of Taguig City,” he added.
Ponferrada vowed to appeal the resolution, saying “we will file a Motion for Reconsideration and, if necessary, we will also file a Petition for Review before the Department of Justice.”
Aquino filed criminal complaints against Falcis before the prosecutors of Mandaluyong, San Juan, Taguig, Pasig, Makati, Manila and Quezon City for allegedly using funds from her company, Kris Cojuangco Aquino Productions (KCAP), for his personal expenses.
The prosecutors in Makati and Pasig earlier dismissed the complaints filed by Aquino against Falcis last month for “lack of evidence.” /jpv
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.