Harvey Weinstein due in court as judge mulls motion to dismiss case
NEW YORK (AP) — Harvey Weinstein is due in court as a New York judge weighs his bid to have some or all of his sexual assault case thrown out.
A court spokesperson says Judge James Burke will deliver a partial ruling on defense motions at Thursday’s hearing. The disgraced movie mogul’s next court date had been scheduled for Nov. 8.
Weinstein faces a six-count indictment covering allegations from three women. He has pleaded not guilty to rape and sexual assault.
His lawyer, Benjamin Brafman, has said prosecutors failed to inform the grand jury of evidence showing a friendly relationship between Weinstein and one accuser.
He also asked the judge to dismiss an assault count because prosecutors didn’t pinpoint the date it happened.
Prosecutors say they’re investigating the circumstances of that charge and that the other counts should stand. NVG
#MeToo movement sends Hollywood figures into exile, not jail
Harvey Weinstein hearing moved up in NY amid possible setbacks for prosecution
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.