Vice Ganda issues public apology, Tony Calvento accepts
Kapamilya comedian Vice Ganda and veteran journalist Tony Calvento finally buried the hatchet after the TV host issued the demanded personal, public apology by the latter.
Vice Ganda made the much-awaited apology on “It’s Showtime” today following Calvento’s rage, after the comedian made a reference on the veteran journalist in an interview with a “Tawag Ng Tanghalan” segment contestant, in a previous episode of the noontime show.
“I just would like to personally apologize nga pala,” Vice Ganda started. “Kasi last time, I wasn’t able to personally say my apologies to Mr. Tony Calvento, who got offended when his name was dragged during the discussion noong nakaraang linggo (last week).”
The comedian then explained that the delays to his apology came about because of his concert engagement in South Korea.
“Pasensiya na po kayo. I personally apologize. Pasensiya na kayo naantala dahil ako’y nasa Korea.”
(My apologies sir. I personally apologize. Please forgive me for the delay [of my public apology] because I was in Korea.)
Despite the delay, the comedian still heeded the demand for a personal and public apology of the offended veteran journalist. The comedian also shared that he initially called Calvento upon learning of his outrage, to give a private apology.
“Gayunpaman nakausap ko naman siya. Tumawag ako sa kanya’t nag-apologize na rin ako personally. At ito, gusto ko pa ring gawin. Pasensiya na po. I apologize,” he said.
(Nevertheless, I was able to talk to him. I called him and I apologized personally. But still, I would like to do this, sir, please forgive me.)
The said apology was captured by the Twitter page of @showbiznestlifestyle.
— showbiznestlifestyle (@showbiznest) August 17, 2017
Calvento immediately turned to Facebook to announce his acceptance of the comedian’s apology, with these words: “Vice’s personal apology accepted. All is well. Let’s move on, Vice.”
Vice Ganda has been criticized by many for the way he does his comedy, which is usually in the style of sarcasm and may tend to be insulting. Tony Calvento’s deadline for the comedian’s public apology was yesterday, August 16. JB
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.