MMFF: ‘Renaissance of quality films’
The Metro Manila Film Festival’s (MMFF) executive committee will launch in Quezon City later today (Saturday) its countdown to the 42nd edition of the annual fest, which it describes as a “cinematic revolution” and “renaissance of quality films.”
Nicanor Tiongson, the MMFF’s selection committee chair, assured the public on Friday that this year’s lineup of films would certainly give them a “different experience,” as they chose “technically excellent films” that put a premium on the quality of the story and its production rather than on commercial viability and the popularity of actors.
“The films of the 2016 MMFF will mark a turning point in the history of the festival and start a renaissance of quality films in the MMFF,” Tiongson said in a statement on Friday.
Unlike in previous years, none of the blockbuster film franchises that have become usual fare in the fest timed with the holidays made it to the “Magic 8.” Critics said that this may affect the fest’s ticket sales.
Earlier, Metropolitan Manila Development Authority officer in charge and general manager Tim Orbos, who also sits as the MMFF’s overall chair, said that even if they don’t surpass last year’s ticket sales of P1.2 billion, they are “already successful in coming out with these artistic Filipino films.”
The movies that made the cut are: “Die Beautiful,” “Kabisera,” “Seklusyon,” “Saving Sally,” “Sunday Beauty Queen,” “Vince & Kath & James,” “Ang Babae sa Septic Tank 2: Forever Is Not Enough” and “Oro.”
No foreign films will be shown during the duration of the MMFF, which runs from Dec. 25 to Jan. 1, 2017.
Among those expected in the 4 p.m. launch today to be held at SM North Edsa’s Skydome are Nora Aunor, Eugene Domingo and Paolo Ballesteros. CDG
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.