Tax Court orders arrest of director Carlo J. Caparas
The Court of Tax Appeals (CTA) has ordered the arrest of film director Carlo J. Caparas on a new set of tax evasion cases filed against him by the Department of Justice (DOJ) last month.
In two separate orders made public Tuesday, the CTA Second Division issued a warrant of arrest for Caparas for violation of the National Internal Revenue Code (NIRC), specifically Section 255 or willful failure to file his annual income tax return (ITR) for taxable years 2008 and 2009.
“After personally examining and evaluating the Information, the documents attached thereto and the records of preliminary investigation, the Court finds probable cause for the issuance of a warrant of arrest against the accused,” the Tax Court said.
Caparas is required to pay P20,000 for each count of tax evasion cases, or a P40,000 bail for his temporary liberty.
Both orders were signed by Associate Justices Juanito C. Castañeda Jr., Caesar A. Casanova and Amelia R. Cotangco-Manalastas.
The case was filed by the DOJ last April after Justice Undersecretary Wendell L. Go on behalf of the Secretary of Justice reversed the resolution of Prosecutor General Claro Arellano that dismissed the complaint filed by the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) against Caparas.
Contrary to claims of Caparas that he filed his ITR for 2008 and 2009, the DOJ noted that based on the documents submitted by the BIR, Caparas filed an ITR for 2010.
“We believe in the veracity and reliability of the sworn BIR statements and certifications because they have been made and issued by the very government instrumentality that is tasked with the collection of taxes in the regular course of performing its functions,” the DOJ resolution stated.
Caparas is already undergoing trial before the Tax Court for failing to file Value Added Tax (VAT) returns for the years 2006 to 2009 where BIR said his liability is P101,819,722.19.
According to actress-producer Donna Villa, Caparas’ wife, they haven’t received word on the arrest order yet. They are currently out of town for the shoot of their latest movie.
She told the Inquirer that she will confer with their lawyer on this matter. “This is an old case. It has been ongoing for five years now,” she added. With a report from Bayani San Diego Jr, Philippine Daily Inquirer/rga
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.