Lawyer for 50 Cent denies rapper robbed man of jewelry
LAS VEGAS — A lawyer for rapper 50 Cent said Tuesday that neither the musician nor his security guards robbed a Los Angeles man of jewelry at gunpoint in Las Vegas earlier this month.
Police are investigating a report that a jewelry company owner was robbed early May 2 at or near boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr.’s gym, said Officer Jesse Roybal, a department spokesman.
READ: No loose change: 50 Cent bets $1.6M on Mayweather
Celebrity website TMZ first reported that LAX Jewelry Co. owner Robert Marin said he met the rapper at a nightclub and was later invited to Mayweather’s gym, where he was pistol-whipped and robbed of a diamond watch and chain valued at some $250,000.
The alleged attack occurred the morning before Mayweather defeated Manny Pacquiao in a welterweight championship fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.
READ: High spirit turns to gloom: Mayweather ‘too slippery, wily’ for Pacquiao
Marin had minor injuries when he flagged down an officer and filed a complaint about 5 a.m., Roybal said. No charges were immediately filed, and Roybal said a police report had not been made public.
Attorney Scott Leemon, representing the rapper whose legal name is Curtis James Jackson III, acknowledged TMZ’s report.
“On behalf of 50, I can adamantly deny that he or his security had anything to do with these baseless and false allegations,” Leemon said in a statement.
Marin didn’t immediately respond to telephone messages to his business by The Associated Press.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.