Kathryn Bernardo in tears as she admits: ‘Last year was a very, very hard time for me’
Kathryn Bernardo broke down in tears during her contract renewal with ABS-CBN’s Star Magic, as she reflected on her journey as a Kapamilya and looked back on the hurdles she faced in the previous year.
“What a day! Parang extra-emotional ako today,” the actress said on Friday, Feb. 2, thanking the film directors and production staff she has worked with, her “mentors” and fellow actors who sent their greetings for her milestone.
Bernardo also expressed her gratitude to the ABS-CBN executives who have tirelessly supported her and her decisions.
“I remember in 2020, I made a promise. Sinabi ko sa ABS-CBN na hinid kita iiwan at nandito lang ako hanggang makabangon ka ulit. And today, here I am, fulfilling that promise,” she underscored.
“Ang daming nangyari sa ABS-CBN but mahal ko e—mahal ko sobra ‘yung kompanya. Together, we will rise despite all the challenges.” she vowed. “We’ll be stronger and even better.”
Bernardo then addressed her friends and family—including her mom Min who was emotional as well during the event—expressing her appreciation for them for “making everything so much better.”
“Last year was a very, very hard time for me,” she admitted, with her voice breaking from crying.
“It’s so hard to find real friends in the industry. Ni-prove nila possible din na makahanap ka ng mabubuting tao sa industriya… Sila ‘yung mga nandyan especially nung pinakakailangan ko sila. Thank you for staying and thank you for being with me throughout all this.”
Bernardo also extended her appreciation to her fans for giving her the “freedom to choose what will make [her] happy.”
“Alam ko na naging mahirap din sa inyo especially last year—so many challenges,” she said. “Ang dami nating pinagdaanan pero nandito ako, nandito kayo—kaya natin, kinaya and kakayanin. So don’t worry about anything, don’t worry about me.”
“Maraming salamat kasi inintindi niyo lahat ng kailangan kong gawin and mga naging desisyon namin bilang tao, hindi bilang artista,” she added.
While Bernardo opted not to expound on her statement, it can be noted that she confirmed her breakup with her longtime boyfriend, actor Daniel Padilla, in November 2023.
At the latter part of the contract-signing event, Bernardo reiterated that ABS-CBN will always be her “second home.”
“I would do anything for family. Tawagan niyo lang ako, ako ang bahala sa inyo,” she told the ABS-CBN bosses.