Luis Manzano victimized by people he treated like family, says mom Vilma Santos
Vilma Santos-Recto spoke up anew on the investment scam accusations against her son, actor-TV host Luis Manzano, and said that those who dragged his name into the mess were his friends whom they treated like family.
It can be recalled that earlier this year, investors of Flex Fuel Petroleum Corp.—which is part of Ildefonso “Bong” Medel Jr.-owned ICM Group—claimed that the fuel company and the TV host, who was the former chairman of several companies under the ICM Group, were involved in estafa.
Manzano was cleared of these allegations in August after an investigation of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) showed that he had already resigned from his position when the complainants invested in the company. Manzano’s camp also disclosed that Medel also owed the TV host P66 million in investments.
In a YouTube vlog with showbiz columnist Cristy Fermin on Tuesday, Nov. 7, the Star for All Seasons opened up on the pain she felt for her son after the scam accusations arose.
“Masyadong masakit ‘yung naramdaman ko noon kasi unang-una, kilala ko ko ‘yung anak ko and alam ko kung saan nanggaling—dahil ‘yung mga taong bumiktima sa kanya [ay] tinuring ko ring mga anak,” Santos revealed.
(I was very hurt at the time because first of all, I know my son and I know where the [allegations] rooted from—because I also treated those who victimized my son as my real children.)
“Imagine, magkaklase pa sila [nung] elementary… Nagdi-dinner ‘yon samin every other week [at] parang tinuring kong mga anak. I didn’t expect na kaya nilang gawin ‘yon sa anak ko, lalo na kay Lucky kasi obvious na nangyari kay Lucky [ay] ginamit ‘yung pangalan [niya],” she added.
(Imagine, they were classmates in elementary school. They even went to our house to eat dinner every other week because I treated them as my children. I didn’t expect that they could do such a thing to my son. What happened was obvious: they used Luis’ name.)
Santos admitted that Manzano did not immediately tell her about the controversy and that she only learned about it through reports. The veteran actress also noted that those who filed complaints against Luis have “records” as well, which says something about their credibility.
“Nung tinitira nila ng mga gano’n ‘yung anak ko, na scammer, I was feeling so hurt pero hindi ako pwedeng magsalita nang magsalita. ‘Yun ‘yung mas masakit,” she said, adding how she was able to release her bottled-up emotions during her “Fast Talk with Boy Abunda” interview in February.
(When they were attacking my son and calling him a scammer, I was feeling so hurt but I couldn’t speak up, which was more painful.)
“Ako na lang, ‘wag na ang anak ko. Pero God is so good; acquitted siya… (Attack me all you want, but please, not my child. But God is good because [Luis] has been acquitted) We’re still blessed and my son is still blessed,” Santos stressed.