Showbiz Roundup: TVJ leaves TAPE, Moira Dela Torre’s battles, Jimmy Santos’ new life in Canada
Before Tito and Vic Sotto, and Joey de Leon finally made the surprise move to leave TAPE Inc., there were already skirmishes between their camps. Before the month of May ended, the production outfit ordered the trio to not air “Eat Bulaga!” live, setting off in motion the inevitable — parting ways after more than 43 years of partnership .
The brouhaha over the longest-running noontime show is far from over, and TVJ’s departure from Eat Bulaga made up entertainment headlines. But the word war between songwriter Lolito Go and Moira Dela Torre, as well as Jimmy Santos’ new life in Canada are catching up.
Read back on some of the biggest news in show businesses with these highlights from May 26 to June 1.
Jimmy Santos’ recycling in Canada
Former “Eat Bulaga” mainstay Jimmy Santos took to his personal vlog last May 23 to share a glimpse of Canada’s recycling system, where he was spotted at a recycling center.
The former “Eat Bulaga” host also said that every can or bottle is worth a certain value, citing it as one of the reasons why Canadian residents are required to recycle them.
“Malaking bagay ‘yan kaya ito po ay ibinahagi at ipinakita ko sa inyo ang sistema ng mga nagbebenta ng bote dito,” he said. “Maganda, masaya at kunswelo dahil nakakatulong sa pagre-recycle ang mga ibinenta nating bote, karton, at ‘yung mga nabubulok po na ginagawang fertilizer,” he added, noting that biodegradable waste have a purpose as well.
Santos, however, didn’t clarify in the video if he has already settled in Canada for good.
It’s also unknown if the actor-comedian has departed from “Eat Bulaga,” although he was last seen in the noontime show’s Christmas episode of its “Bawal Judgmental” segment in 2021.
Lolito Go claims Moira Dela Torre hired a ‘ghostwriter’
Just hours after Moira Dela Torre maintained that she never employed a ghostwriter, songwriter Lolita Go posted a screenshot of his supposed conversation with a deactivated Facebook user, who offered to pay Go to be their ghostwriter.
Go, who claimed that Dela Torre had asked him to be her ghostwriter and who accused her of being “more of an oppressor than a victim” to her estranged husband Jason Marvin Hernandez, shared the conversation dated May 3, 2022, through his Facebook page.
“Sure, kuya! Can I get you as ghostwriter for my new album[?] I’ll pay you monthly for two months,” the message read, to which Go replied, “Thank you so much!” He then sent the Facebook user a May 2022 report about Dela Torre and her song “Ipanalo Natin ‘To,” which was co-written by Go.
“Deactivated na ang account. Wala na yung name. But the truth can never be deactivated,” he captioned his recent post.
“P.S. Nowhere in my post did I say a ghostwriter was employed. The operative term I used was ‘offered.’ Inalok,” he continued. “Kasi kung employed ako, may NDA (non-disclosure agreement)—’di ko na sana madi-disclose ito.”
Go further said that he was happy with the offer because even if he would not get any recognition, at least he would get paid. “More resibos to follow,” he said.
In a separate post, Go addressed Dela Torre’s mom who “challenged” the former to release screenshots that would apparently prove that it was Go who insisted on being a ghostwriter. Dela Torre’s mom also pointed out that Go had been borrowing money from her daughter.
Go explained that he did not insist but he “suggested” to be a ghostwriter, because Dela Torre was allegedly not paying nor was she crediting him for his work. He also stressed that Dela Torre refused to lend him money multiple times, including when he was asking for help for his ailing father, who already died.
Dela Torre earlier dismissed accusations by Go and said that she is fully prepared to provide evidence that supports the truth. Her legal counsel, Joji Alonso, also warned to take legal action against those “discrediting and maligning” the singer.
‘I’m desperate to have [Moira] back’
Dela Torre’s estranged husband Jason Marvin Hernandez confessed that he still wants to reconcile with her, saying he has been “giving [his] all to get her back.”
Hernandez said this in response to Moira’s sister, J’mee, who was irked by his recently released song “Ikaw Pa Rin,” as per her now-deactivated Twitter page. Screenshots of J’mee’s tweets as well as Hernandez’s now-deleted Facebook post have been re-uploaded by netizens on social media.
Hernandez then stressed that he tried reaching out to J’mee but to no avail, which prompted him to publicly address her. He pointed out how he had visited Moira’s family for several months after the split, and that he only stopped doing so when her mom “expressed” that the “Paubaya” singer did not want them hanging out with Hernandez.
“You didn’t see kung paano siya nagbasag ng baso to shut me up. You didn’t see kung paano siya galit na galit noong nagpadala ako ng food sa kanya because I thought she was sick, and how she told me to never go near her again,” he said. “You don’t know how I would wait outside the condo sa driveway para ma-timingan lang siyang kausapin.”
Hernandez also shared that he recently talked to Moira, and maintained that he still loves and misses the singer.
“You call me desperate, yes, I am desperate to have her back. I made mistakes but I wanna be able to say that I did everything to make up [for it and learn] from it,” he said. “I’ve been good to you and to your family and I’m sorry if you were fed false/exaggerated/filtered details, but I gave my all to try to get her back.”
‘Eat Bulaga’ cuts ties with TAPE
A visibly emotional Tito Sotto, Vic Sotto, and Joey de Leon — surrounded by their fellow hosts — made the announcement today, where Tito pointed out that they were not allowed to air any live episodes per instruction from the “new management.”
“Simula ngayong araw, May 31, 2023, kami po ay magpapaalam na sa TAPE Inc.,” Vic said. “Karangalan po namin na kami’y nakapaghatid ng tuwa’t saya mula Batanes hanggang Jolo at naging bahagi ng buhay ninyo. Maraming maraming salamat sa inyong lahat. Kung saan man kami dalhin ng tadhana, tuloy ang isang libo’t isang tuwa.”
Meanwhile, de Leon expressed his gratitude to the show’s supporters, advertisers, and production team for staying by the show’s side through the years.
“Kung natatandaan niyo po, noong July 30, 1979 nang simulan namin ang ‘Eat Bulaga,’ 44 years na po ngayong taon,” de Leon added, as the show is about to enter its 44th year this July.
“Lubos ang pasasalamat sa mga naging tahanan namin, unang-una ang RPN-9 for nine years, siyam na taon po. Ang ABS-CBN for six years, anim na taon, at ang GMA for 28 years,” de Leon continued.
The hosts, who were spotted wearing white and black during the broadcast, were fighting back tears as they hugged TVJ after the surprise announcement.
The announcement comes weeks after reports of the noontime show’s debacle with the production company, where Tito stressed at an April 2023 interview with showbiz columnist Cristy Fermin that they own the rights to “Eat Bulaga,” while Romy Jalosjos is the one who owns TAPE.
Despite this, the reason for EB’s departure from TAPE Inc. was not announced on the show’s live broadcast. It also remains unknown if this marks the noontime show’s final episode for good.
‘Eat Bulaga’ hosts resign from TAPE
Aside from Tito, Vic and Joey, “Eat Bulaga” co-hosts Jose Manalo, Wally Bayola, Paolo Ballesteros, Maine Mendoza, Allan K, Ryan Agoncillo and Ryzza Mae Dizon have also resigned from TAPE Inc., following the noontime show mainstays Tito Sotto, Vic Sotto and Joey de Leon’s (TVJ) departure.
A copy of the hosts’ resignation letter addressed to TAPE’s president Romeo Jalosjos, Jr. was shown by Vic’s wife, Pauleen Luna, through her Instagram page last June 1.
“Dear Mr. Jalosjos, dahil po sa mga nangyari, kami po ay magpapaalam na rin sa TAPE Inc. simula ngayong araw, May 31, 2023,” the letter read.
Luna also revealed that aside from the hosts undersigned on the letter, the “writers, sales, production and cameramen followed suit immediately after TVJ’s resignation.”
TVJ announced their departure from TAPE on Wednesday, May 31, with Tito disclosing how they were not allowed to air any live episodes per instruction from the “new management.”
While TAPE described the trio’s decision to leave as “unfortunate,” it stressed that “the success of ‘Eat Bulaga’ is not dependent only on three people.”
“Ang pag-alis ng mga hosts ay hindi dahilan para tumigil ang pag-ikot ng mundo,” the production company said. EDV