Placido Domingo breaks silence over misconduct accusations, says he harassed no one | Inquirer Entertainment
Close  

Placido Domingo breaks silence over misconduct accusations, says he harassed no one

/ 10:29 AM January 23, 2022
Spanish tenor Domingo receives the "Honorary World Heritage Ambassador of Spain" award

Spanish tenor Placido Domingo speaks after receiving the “Honorary World Heritage Ambassador of Spain” award during a ceremony at Royal Theatre in Madrid, Spain, June 10, 2021. Image: Reuters/Sergio Perez

MADRID — Spanish opera star Placido Domingo addressed in a newspaper interview on Friday accusations about sexual harassment that emerged two years ago, telling newspaper El Mundo that he had done nothing wrong and regretted not speaking out sooner.

A 2020 investigation by the American Guild of Musical Artists (AGMA) concluded that Domingo, 81, had behaved inappropriately with female performers after it heard evidence from more than three dozen singers, dancers, musicians, voice teachers and backstage staff who said they had witnessed or experienced inappropriate behavior over three decades.

ADVERTISEMENT

He said in a statement at the time that he respected the women’s decisions to speak out and that he was “truly sorry for the hurt I caused them.”

The findings prompted Spain to cancel planned performances by the tenor-turned-baritone at publicly-funded theaters. U.S. institutions including the Metropolitan Opera in New York and the San Francisco Opera also scrapped planned engagements and Domingo resigned as general director of the Los Angeles Opera.

FEATURED STORIES

L.A. Opera conducted its own enquiry and found ten allegations about Domingo to be “credible.”

No criminal case was brought to court over any of the claims.

Domingo told El Mundo in the interview published on Friday that he never harassed anyone and said he felt that he had been convicted in the court of public opinion because he did not speak out.

“The main mistake I made was to remain silent for too much time,” he said in written answers to questions from the paper. “I don’t like controversy. For that reason I stood aside and kept my counsel while watching how, in an instant, years of work and effort were erased.”

Domingo added that his apologies never admitted any wrongdoing. “Because I have never harassed anyone,” he said.

AGMA’s investigation was partial, he said, and contained few concrete facts.

AGMA did not respond to a Reuters request for comment. L.A. Opera said it had nothing to add to its original statement following its investigation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Domingo returned to Spain to perform in a charity concert in June after an absence of almost a year and a half, and was honored with an award at Madrid’s Teatro Real.

He has performed in several countries since and is due to sing in Verdi’s Nabucco in Spain in July. JB

RELATED STORIES:

‘I’ll perform in your kid’s birthday party at this point’: Johnny Depp decries ‘cancel culture’ as he receives award

James Franco admits sleeping with students, says he had sex addiction

The hottest entertainment news straight to your inbox

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Metropolitan Opera, Opera, Placido Domingo, Sexual harassment, Spain
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our entertainment news

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.