Cuba Gooding Jr. asks US judge to throw out rape accuser's lawsuit | Inquirer Entertainment
Close  

Cuba Gooding Jr. asks US judge to throw out rape accuser’s lawsuit

/ 10:11 AM January 12, 2022
Actor Cuba Gooding Jr. arrives at New York Criminal Court in Manhattan in New York

Actor Cuba Gooding Jr. arrives at New York Criminal Court in Manhattan in New York City, New York, U.S., Oct. 18, 2021. Image: Reuters/Mike Segar

NEW YORK — Cuba Gooding Jr. has asked a United States judge to dismiss a $6 million civil lawsuit filed by a woman who accused the Oscar-winning actor of raping her twice in 2013, saying she took too long to sue by waiting nearly seven years.

The woman, known in court papers by the pseudonym Jane Doe, sued Gooding in August 2020 for allegedly raping her in August 2013 at a hotel room in Manhattan’s SoHo neighborhood, soon after she met him in a Greenwich Village restaurant and lounge. Gooding has denied her claims.

ADVERTISEMENT

In a Monday night filing in federal court in Manhattan, Gooding’s lawyers said laws allowing rape accusers to sue their alleged perpetrators after many years applied to victims who had suppressed traumatic rapes or did not initially realize they had been raped, and did not apply to Doe.

They said letting Doe invoke the seven-year statute of limitations under a New York City law protecting victims of gender-motivated violence violated Gooding’s due process rights under the U.S. and New York state constitutions.

FEATURED STORIES

“No exceptional circumstances forced her to wait,” Gooding’s lawyers said. “Plaintiff choosing to sue Mr. Gooding, Jr almost seven years later will not rectify any serious injustice; the opposite is true.”

Doe’s lawyers have argued the seven-year statute of limitations applies in this case, and have also rejected a defense request that their client reveal her name, saying the case involved “matters of a highly sensitive and personal nature.”

Last year, U.S. District Judge Paul Crotty in Manhattan granted a default judgment on Gooding’s liability, but both parties later agreed to set that judgment aside because Gooding’s failure to formally respond to Doe’s accusations was not willful.

Gooding, 54, won a best supporting actor Oscar in 1997 for “Jerry Maguire” and portrayed O.J. Simpson in the 2016 television miniseries “The People v. O.J. Simpson.” JB

RELATED STORIES:

Cuba Gooding, rape accuser agree to set aside liability finding against actor

‘I’ll perform in your kid’s birthday party at this point’: Johnny Depp decries ‘cancel culture’ as he receives award

The hottest entertainment news straight to your inbox

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: alleged rape, civil case, Cuba Gooding Jr., O.J. Simpson, Oscars
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our entertainment news

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.