Harvey Weinstein again pleads not guilty to rape and sex assault charges | Inquirer Entertainment
Close  

Harvey Weinstein again pleads not guilty to rape and sex assault charges

/ 11:16 AM September 21, 2021
Harvey Weinstein departs New York Criminal Court following another day of jury deliberations in his sexual assault trial in the Manhattan borough of New York City, New York, U.S., February 21, 2020. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson/File Picture/File Photo

Harvey Weinstein departs New York Criminal Court following another day of jury deliberations in his sexual assault trial in the Manhattan borough of New York City, New York, U.S., Feb. 21, 2020. Image: Reuters/Lucas Jackson

LOS ANGELES — Harvey Weinstein again pleaded not guilty to 11 counts of rape and sexual assault on Monday, as his defense attorney complained that prosecutors are training a “water cannon” of uncharged allegations at him.

Weinstein had pleaded not guilty to the same charges in July, shortly after being extradited to Los Angeles from New York, Variety reports. But prosecutors brought a new indictment against him in August, in order to salvage a charge that had been dismissed on statute of limitations grounds.

ADVERTISEMENT

Weinstein was again wheeled into court, wearing a brown jail jumpsuit and a mask below his nose. He spoke only briefly, agreeing to waive trial deadlines. A trial is not expected until next spring, at the earliest.

Weinstein’s attorney, Mark Werksman, said that Weinstein is being held as a “keep away” at the Twin Towers jail in downtown Los Angeles due to his high profile status and his health problems. He said Weinstein is “obviously struggling” with the situation, which he said is “akin to solitary confinement.”

FEATURED STORIES

“He can’t walk and he can’t see,” Werksman said.

Prosecutors filed a motion on Monday asking the court to allow several Weinstein accusers to testify at trial in support of the five women whose claims pertain to the 11 counts. The motion was filed under seal, but prosecutors had previously indicated they would ask that 10 to 12 such “prior bad acts” witnesses be permitted to testify.

Werksman complained that the D.A.’s office is “opening up a water cannon of allegations against Mr. Weinstein through numerous uncharged alleged victims.”

Werksman has also filed a motion to dismiss the entire case, arguing that prosecutors failed to present sufficient evidence to the grand jury to bring charges, and relied on faulty expert testimony. The grand jury transcript remains under seal.

The defense had earlier prevailed in dismissing a count of sexual battery by restraint due to the statute of limitations, though prosecutors were able to restore the charge by returning to the grand jury. The defense has 30 days to renew its effort to dismiss that charge. JB

RELATED STORIES:

Harvey Weinstein found guilty in landmark #MeToo moment

Harvey Weinstein indicted in California, appears at extradition hearing

The hottest entertainment news straight to your inbox

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Harvey Weinstein, Los Angeles, New York, Rape, sexual assault
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our entertainment news

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.