Harvey Weinstein bid to dismiss two sex charges fails | Inquirer Entertainment
Close  

Harvey Weinstein bid to dismiss two sex charges fails

/ 08:12 AM July 30, 2021

In this file photo taken on February 24, 2020 Harvey Weinstein arrives at the Manhattan Criminal Court in New York City. – A US federal judge in New York on July 14, 2020 rejected a proposed civil settlement that would have created a nearly $19 million fund for dozens of women who suffered sexual misconduct and harassment at the hands of Harvey Weinstein. (AFP)

LOS ANGELES  – Disgraced Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein’s bid to have two charges of sexual assault against a woman thrown out was rejected by a Los Angeles judge Thursday.

Weinstein, already convicted of rape in New York, was extradited last week to the California city where he once towered over the movie industry, but now stands accused of the rape and sexual assault of a total of five women.

ADVERTISEMENT

Judge Lisa Lench dismissed the defense’s claim that an alleged rape and oral copulation by force of a woman in a hotel room between 2004 and 2005 fell outside the statute of limitations.

But the judge sustained a similar defense argument involving an allegation of sexual battery against another woman in 2010, ordering prosecutors to amend their charge for it to proceed.

FEATURED STORIES

Weinstein’s attorney Mark Werksman told journalists outside the court following Thursday’s hearing that “one-fifth of the prosecution’s case has been gutted.”

A pretrial hearing in the case is set for September 13.

“Pulp Fiction” and “Shakespeare in Love” producer Weinstein, 69, is already serving 23 years in jail in New York.

He has denied 11 Los Angeles charges that, if convicted, could see him jailed for an additional 140 years.

Widespread sexual abuse and harassment allegations against Weinstein exploded in 2017, triggering the global #MeToo movement. In total, nearly 90 women including Angelina Jolie, Gwyneth Paltrow and Salma Hayek have accused Weinstein of harassment or assault.

Weinstein has said all his sexual encounters were consensual.

His lawyers attempted to block the extradition to Los Angeles on medical grounds, and a judge has granted a new medical examination.

Werksman last week told reporters that Weinstein — who attended both Los Angeles hearings in a wheelchair — is unable to walk due to a spinal condition.

gsg

The hottest entertainment news straight to your inbox

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Harvey Weinstein, Hollywood, sex charges
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our entertainment news

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.