'Gaya Sa Pelikula' producer Quark Henares unsure of show's future amid Juan Miguel Severo sexual harassment allegations | Inquirer Entertainment
Close  

‘Gaya Sa Pelikula’ producer Quark Henares unsure of show’s future amid Juan Miguel Severo sexual harassment allegations

/ 11:50 AM June 24, 2021
Gaya sa Pelikula poster

“Gaya Sa Pelikula” poster. Image: Instagram/@gayasapelikula

“Gaya Sa Pelikula” producer Quark Henares has admitted that he is unsure if the series will be continuing for another season, after it had been “endangered” amid sexual harassment allegations supposedly involving its writer-creator Juan Miguel Severo.

This comes after lead star Paolo Pangilinan addressed “harassers,” though not stating any names, through a Twitter post on Sunday, June 20. Fans speculated that he was referring to Severo who deactivated his Twitter account after Pangilinan made the cryptic statement.

ADVERTISEMENT

Henares, meanwhile, did not mention names either but spoke up in his own Twitter thread yesterday, June 23, in the context of “recent events.”

“One of the proudest things I’ve ever done was become part of a BL series. It was sweet, and [feel good] and touching,” he said. Henares also noted that “Gaya Sa Pelikula” was able to do “so much good” by empowering its audience and creating safe spaces for them.

FEATURED STORIES

The producer said “Gaya Sa Pelikula” has been “endangered” as its fans started to question the series’ message.

“The message of that show has become endangered. It broke our hearts to see [stan] accounts change their names, to see people struggling with what the show may have meant for them,” he lamented.

He then stressed that he does not want to work with “anyone who uses their power to take advantage of anyone else.”

Henares added that after convening the “Gaya Sa Pelikula” team, they reflected on whether their show is “bigger than one person.”

“I’m honestly not sure. But I know that despite everything…[atin] pa rin ang kwento (the story is still ours),” he declared. He also showed a photo of the team after their meeting, where Severo is noticeably absent.

Henares acknowledged that fans may be “traumatized” by the incident, noting that the show’s team considered moving on to a new project together, as he stated in a separate Twitter post, also yesterday.

The show’s director, JP Habac, meanwhile recalled experiencing abuse in the past amid the speculations surrounding the series.

“[Kaninang] umaga, nagising akong umiiyak dahil sa isang masamang alaala [11] years ago. Akala ko kaya ko ‘tong dalhin hanggang makalimutan ko na ‘yun, pero hindi pala,” he said. (This morning, I woke up crying because of a bad memory I had 11 years ago. I thought I could carry it until I forgot, but I couldn’t.)

Habac then recounted how he was abused by a person he met online and struggled to forget about the abuser after a long time. He then stressed that any form of abuse should not be justified, as he told fans that he is “with them.”

“[Asahan] niyong kasama niyo ko sa patuloy na pakikipaglaban para bawiin ang kwento natin,” he stated. (You can expect me to join you in this fight to take back our story.)

Ian Pangilinan, one of the show’s lead actors, also spoke up amid the issue and told fans how he felt when he was meeting with the show’s team.

“I’ll be damned if I let everything I, and everyone in that room bled and fought for, die because of a single blow,” he said.

The allegations against Severo came as a surprise to many, as he is known for his “woke” personality online. He often spoke up against the current administration and its actions on abuse and harassment. JB

RELATED STORIES:

‘I’m Drunk, I Love You’s’ JP Habac to direct Boys’ Love series from Juan Miguel Severo

Practice what you preach, a lesson Juan Miguel Severo should heed

The hottest entertainment news straight to your inbox

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Gaya sa Pelikula, JP Habac, Juan Miguel Severo, Paolo Pangilinan, Quark Henares
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our entertainment news

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.