Series festival called off over coronavirus | Inquirer Entertainment
Close  

Europe’s top series festival called off over coronavirus

/ 05:08 PM March 12, 2020
television series

Members of the international competition jury of the “Series Mania” festival attend a press conference in Paris on April 15, 2016. Image: AFP/Francois Guillot

A leading European festival, Series Mania, offering the cream of upcoming streaming and television series, was canceled Wednesday because of the coronavirus epidemic.

The gathering, which draws more than 80,000 people to the northern French city of Lille was to have begun on March 20.

ADVERTISEMENT

Festival president Rodolphe Belmer said the “difficult decision” had to be made after the Paris government banned gatherings of more than 1,000 people amid international travel restrictions.

A rival festival, Canneseries, fell victim to the virus last week and was postponed until autumn.

FEATURED STORIES

The world’s second-biggest television and entertainment market, MIPTV, which was to run alongside it later this month in Cannes, was also canceled.

A slew of concerts, operas and ballets have been pulled or postponed across France in an attempt to slow the spread of the virus.

The Musee d’Orsay in Paris — which holds the world’s biggest collection of Impressionist paintings — also began restricting access to 1,000 visitors at a time Wednesday, two days after the Louvre imposed a similar bar.

The world’s most visited museum will only allow people in who have already reserved a ticket online or those who normally get free entry.

The Series Mania cancelation puts further pressure on the Cannes film festival — the world’s biggest — which is held in the Riviera resort in May.

Its president Pierre Lescure remains bullish, despite Cannes being close to the outbreak in Italy, which is now under lockdown.

“We remain reasonably optimistic hoping that the peak of the epidemic will be at the end of March and that we can breathe more freely in April,” he told the French daily Le Figaro.

ADVERTISEMENT

Variety revealed Tuesday the festival had turned down a chance to take out insurance against epidemics.

But Lescure said the coverage being offered was “peanuts” compared to the 32 million-euro ($36 million) cost of the festival, which draws more than 40,000 people and half of Hollywood to Cannes for 12 days.

“We have (financial) reserves,” he added. “The funds we have put in place allow up to face up a year without revenue.” RGA

RELATED STORIES: 

As coronavirus concerns bloom, performing arts world fears major hit

Coachella festival postponed as concerts grapple with coronavirus

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Cannes, coronavirus, France, Paris, TV Series
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.