Houston possibly overdosed, face down in bath—coroner
LOS ANGELES — Pop legend Whitney Houston possibly overdosed from drugs and alcohol, coroners said Wednesday, adding that a “spoon with a white crystal-like substance on it” was found in her hotel room.
The 48-year-old was found lying face down in her bathtub in the Beverly Hilton hotel, the Los Angeles County Coroner’s office said in a full report on her death in February.
The 42-page document gave more details than an initial report released last month, which concluded that the Grammy-winning singer died from
accidental drowning after taking cocaine, which could have triggered a heart attack.
“The decedent possibly overdosed on a narcotic substance, prescription medications, over-the-counter medications, and alcohol,” said the full report, adding that there were no signs of foul play.
It cited the star’s personal assistant as having found her lifeless in her hotel room on February 11, hours before a star-studded party on the eve of the music industry’s annual Grammys awards show.
“The personal assistant… went into the bathroom, and she found the decedent lying face down in the bathtub, unresponsive. (…) The
bathtub was filled with water, and there was water on the bathroom
floor,” it said.
Detailing the condition of Houston’s body, it noted that “there was a bloody purge coming from her nose.”
The report noted that a substance — which was later determined to be cocaine — was found in the bedroom.
“Located on the south portion of the counter was a small spoon with a white crystal-like substance in it and a rolled up piece of white
paper, along with other miscellaneous items,” it said.
“Located in the top drawer, in the north side of the counter were
remnants of a white powdery substance, and a portable mirror on a base,” it added.
The singer of hits including “I Will Always Love You” sold over 170
million records during a nearly three-decade career, but fought a long battle against substance abuse while trying to preserve her performing talent.