Close  

Man sues Kevin Spacey over alleged groping at island bar

/ 01:17 PM June 29, 2019
Kevin Spacey

Kevin Spacey, who has denied the groping the teen, pleaded not guilty to indecent assault and battery in January. Image: AP Photo/Steven Senne

BOSTON — A young man who accused Kevin Spacey of groping him at a resort island bar in 2016 filed a lawsuit against the actor, who is also fighting a criminal charge stemming from the alleged assault.

The lawsuit filed Wednesday seeks unspecified damages for “severe and permanent mental distress and emotional injuries.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The accusation was first brought in 2017 by former Boston TV anchor Heather Unruh, who said Spacey got her then 18-year-old son drunk and sexually assaulted him at the Club Car, a restaurant and bar on Nantucket where the teen worked as a busboy.

Spacey, who has denied the groping the teen, pleaded not guilty to indecent assault and battery in January. His lawyers have accused the man of lying in the hopes of winning money in a civil case against the two-time Oscar-winner.

FEATURED STORIES

Given Spacey’s “status as a public figure, (the accuser) and his family members have a significant financial motive to fabricate the instant allegations,” Attorney Alan Jackson said in court documents filed in the criminal case.

An email was sent Thursday requesting comment from Jackson.

The man told police he went over to talk to Spacey after his shift ended at the Club Car because he wanted to get a picture with the actor. He said Spacey bought him several drinks and tried to persuade him to come home with him before unzipping the man’s pants and groping him for about three minutes.

The accuser told police he tried to move Spacey’s hands, but the groping continued, and he didn’t know what to do because he didn’t want to get in trouble for drinking because he was underage. The man said he fled when Spacey went to the bathroom.

The lawsuit says the assault has left the man “unable to fully disclose in complete detail” the degree to which Spacey abused him “emotionally and physically.” The Associated Press does not typically identify people alleging sexual assault.

The criminal case against Spacey has centered on the cellphone used by the accuser the night of the alleged groping, which the defense says it needs to recover text messages it says will support Spacey’s claims of innocence.

Nantucket District Court Judge Thomas Barrett earlier this month ordered the man to hand the phone over to the defense, but his attorney said last week they cannot find it.

ADVERTISEMENT

The judge has now given them until July 8 to produce the phone. Otherwise, the man, his parents and his lawyer must appear in court that day to explain what they know about its whereabouts.

It’s the only criminal case that has been brought against Spacey since several sexual misconduct allegations crippled his career in 2017. NVG

RELATED STORIES:

Bill Cosby files appeal over testimony from other women accusers

Kevin Spacey accuser’s phone must be turned over to defense—judge

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: #MeToo, groping, Kevin Spacey, lawsuit, sexual assault, sexual misconduct
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
entertainment

‘Isa Pa, With Feelings’: Silence is golden

October 19, 2019 12:30 AM

entertainment

CHNDTR wishes to go beyond trends

October 19, 2019 12:20 AM

entertainment

A simple garden, Christian wedding for Aicelle and Mark

October 19, 2019 12:15 AM



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.