Indie film ‘Tu Pug Imatuy’ to be featured in Pista ng Pelikulang Pilipino
The award-winning indie film, “Tu Pug Imatuy,” will be among the movies featured in this year’s Pista ng Pelikulang Pilipino (PPP) from August 15 to 21.
“Tu Pug Imatuy” (The Right to Kill) tells the story of a Lumad couple who struggle against problems in their community such as mining and military operations that eventually ravaged their land.
The film has bagged prestigious recognitions from different award-giving bodies, including the Grand Jury Prize for Film at the FAMAS Awards and the Best Picture at Sinag Maynila Film Festival 2017 where the film was premiered. Its director, Arnel ‘Arbi’ Barbirona. was also named the Best Director by FAMAS, Gawan Urian, and Sinag Maynila.
“Tu Pug Imatuy” also bagged the Best Screenplay in Sinag for award-winning writer and director Arnel Mardoquio.
The movie is part of the Special Features Section of award-winning indie movies in the PPP. The film aims to connect the Filipino audience with the pressing problems of indigenous people.
“Tu Pug Imatuy” will be shown at SM Cinemas (Mall of Asia, Megamall, Manila, North EDSA, Sta. Mesa, and Fairview); and at Robinson’s Galleria Movie World and Gateway Cinema. Schedule of regional screenings will be announced soon.
- “Ang Babaeng Allergic Sa Wifi” (directed by Jun Robles Lana,The IdeaFirst Company)
- “Bakwit Boys” (directed by Jason Paul Laxamana, T. Rex Entertainment)
- “Madilim Ang Gabi” (directed by Adolf Alix Jr., Deus Lux Mea Films)
- “Pinay Beauty” (directed by Jay Abello, Quantum Films and Epic Media)
- “Signal Rock” (directed by Chito Roño, Cape Signal Rock (CSR) Films PH)
- “The Day After Valentine’s” (directed by Jason Paul Laxamana, Viva Films)
- “Unli Life” (directed by Miko Livelo, Regal Entertainment Inc.)
- “We Will Not Die Tonight” (directed by Richard Somes, Strawdogs Studio Production)
Special Feature Section films:
- “High Tide” directed by Tara Illenberger from TOFARM,
- “Paki” directed by Giancarlo Abrahan from CinemaOne Originals,
- “Tu Pug Imatuy” directed by Arnel Barbarona from Sinag Maynila
Short film entries featured through the Sine Kabataan Short Film Competition:
- “Alas-Nuebe ng Tanghali” (directed by Enalyn Legaspi)
- ”Anonymous Student Vlog” (directed by Christian Babista)
- “Bahay-bahayan” (directed by Bryan Spencer Reyes)
- “Bato Bato Pik” (directed by Ardinian Jaq Sanque and Lorys Plaza)
- “Isang Tula para sa Nawawala” (directed by Rodemille Singh)
- “Koleksyong Pamalo” (directed by Len Frago)
- “Masaya Ako” (directed by Daniel Edwin Delgado and Tiara Angelia Nicolas)
- “Runner” (directed by Levi Jun Miscala)
Launched in 2017, the PPP is a seven-day exclusive screening of quality Filipino films in celebration of the Buwan ng Wika. The festival is organized by the Film Development Council of the Philippines headed by Liza Dino-Seguerra. /ee
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.