Close  

Stan Lee drops $1B lawsuit against company he started

/ 10:15 AM July 10, 2018

Los Angeles, United States – Comic book legend Stan Lee has terminated a $1 billion lawsuit alleging that the entertainment company he co-founded had tricked him into signing away his image rights.

The complaint, filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court in May, accused POW! Entertainment CEO Shane Duffy and co-founder Gill Champion of failing to disclose fully to Lee details of the firm’s 2017 sale to Camsing International.

ADVERTISEMENT

The entertainment icon contended that they took advantage of him at a time when he was despondent over the death of his wife Joan, and suffering from macular degeneration, a condition affecting the eyes.

“The whole thing has been confusing to everyone, including myself and the fans, but I am now happy to be surrounded by those who want the best for me,” Lee said in statement circulated among US media.

FEATURED STORIES

“I am thrilled to put the lawsuit behind me, get back to business with my friends and colleagues at POW! and launch the next wave of amazing characters and stories!” he also said.

The announcement comes amid a struggle over Lee’s fortune, estimated at more than $50 million, and concerns about his mental and physical health since Joan’s death last year.

The 95-year-old co-creator of many superhero characters, including Black Panther and Spider-Man, alleged that he was duped into signing a fraudulent agreement that gave POW! exclusive rights to his name, identity, and likeness.

According to the lawsuit, Lee was unable to read the document due to his eye condition, and doesn’t remember anyone reading it to him, suggesting that his signature may have been forged, copied or induced.

“In addition, POW! took control of Lee’s personal social media accounts, including Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, thereby impersonating Lee before a combined 15 million followers worldwide,” the complaint read.

There was no immediate response from POW! Entertainment to the termination and Lee’s representatives were not available, but Duffy said in a statement published by the London-based Guardian newspaper that he was “ecstatic” over the demise of the “ill-founded” suit.

“We recently got together with Stan to discuss our path forward and we and Camsing are pleased with his overwhelmingly enthusiastic reaction,” Duffy added.

ADVERTISEMENT

In mid-June, a Los Angeles court issued a temporary restraining order against Keya Morgan, a man who had been taking care of Lee and has denied accusations of elder abuse.

The order has since been dismissed following confusion in court over who was supposed to be representing the comic book icon.

In April, a massage therapist named Maria Carballo has sued Lee for sexual assault and battery, which he has denied.   /kga

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Comics, Entertainment, Film, literature, People, POW, Stan Lee, US
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.