Iza Calzado, Nyoy Volante, Antoinette Taus, others praise ’50 Shades! The Musical Parody’
Video used with permission from 9 Works Theatrical Productions
“50 Shades! The Musical Parody” made its much-anticipated Asian debut over Valentine’s Day weekend at the Carlos P. Romulo Auditorium of the RCBC Plaza in Makati to adoring fans that were left singing, dancing, laughing, raving, and craving for more.
The musical that has sold out audiences in Las Vegas and New York opened to a star-studded Manila crowd who walked the red carpet last February 12, 2016. The consensus among local celebrities was that “50 Shades! The Musical Parody” was able to live up to its lofty billing: they all found it absolutely hilarious!
- David Charlton, owner of the famed David’s Salon chain, declared that “The show is fantastic. It is wonderful to watch. Definitely worth watching, as long as you’re 18!”
- TV host Rovilson Fernandez was more than happy to put in his two cents, “Great cast, wonderful script, and their Christian Grey was the best!”
- “Everyone in the cast is super strong vocally, acting-wise, and with comedic chops,” pointed out Moy Ortiz of esteemed singing group The Company.
- Actress and singer Antoinette Taus swore that one viewing is not enough. “I’m already planning on seeing it again! It’s so amazing and so funny! I swear it’s the best!”
- Actor Steven Silva, who admittedly has not yet read “50 Shades of Grey” had this to say: “Whether you’ve read the book or not (like me), you will definitely enjoy 50 Shades! The Musical Parody.”
- “It blew my mind! It really did!” exclaimed musician Nyoy Volante, one of the first people to watch the show in Manila.
- “It’s good that we have Filipino cast members,” says renowned actress Iza Calzado. “Watching them onstage with the people from Vegas, you can see that Filipinos are at par with international performers. This makes me so proud.”
- Actor Guji Lorenzana exclaimed “I think it’s going to be one of the best shows that has hit the Philippines for a long time!”
The outrageously raunchy and sexy musical parody based on E.L. James’ best-selling novel was originally slated to run only until March 1. But due to the tremendous reception it enjoyed, 50 Shades! The Musical Parody has been extended until March 20, 2016.
“We were eager and optimistic about bringing the show here to Manila but did not expect that the turnout would be this good and the following would be as strong as it has become right now,” declares Vivre Fort Entertainment President and CEO Gio Bulanadi. “We have decided to open additional show dates and extend the run until March 20 so that more people can experience, have fun, and enjoy 50 Shades! The Musical Parody.”
“50 Shades! The Musical Parody” is presented by Vivre Fort Entertainment and 9 Works Theatrical in cooperation with Star World, FOX, FOX Filipino, ePLUS Tap to Pay, David’s Salon, Fitness First, Victoria Court, MAC Cosmetics, ABS-CBN, MYX, Lifestyle Channel, Jeepney TV, Cinema One, Philippine Star, Philippine Daily Inquirer, Home Radio 97.9, Mellow 94.7, 106.7 Energy FM, Luna Films, Felicity Images, and Philippine Entertainment Portal.
Tickets to the show, now extended until March 20, are available via Ticketworld, TicketNet, and SM Tickets. For more information, visit www.50shadesmanila.com or call (02) 470 6956.
About the show
“50 Shades! The Musical Parody” is the hilariously naughty satire that explores the steamy relationship between Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele, as seen through the eyes of a trio of girlfriends at a book club meeting. As the women devour the novel, the character’s delicious affair comes to life before their eyes. The show features a sassy original score, including such songs as ‘Open Your Book,’ ‘I Don’t Make Love…,’ and ‘There’s a Hole Inside of Me.’
Featured in the company is a mix of international thespians, including performers from the Off-Broadway and Las Vegas productions of “50 Shades! The Musical Parody,” plus some homegrown stage and screen talents.
Leading the foreign artists are Brenna Wahl, Greg Kata, Chloe Williamson, Kaitlyn Frotton, Chris Hodgson, Casey Renee Rogers, and Isaac Saleh. Rounding out the cast are seasoned Filipino theatre stars Bituin Escalante, Karel Marquez, Lorenz Martinez, George Schulze, and Julz Savard.
“50 Shades! The Musical Parody” is not associated with, endorsed or authorized by E.L. James or Vintage Books. TVJ
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.