Warsaw-bound ‘Bomba’ gets X’d
In spite of its title, “Bomba” (The Bomb) is not a bold film.
Still, internationally awarded director Ralston Jover’s latest film, “Bomba,” which depicts the struggles of a hearing-impaired laborer, got an X rating from the Movie and Television Review and Classification Board (MTRCB), on its first screening last Monday.
Jover said on Tuesday that board members had complained of the “improper use of [a police] uniform … adult theme; blood and violence; bullying of a PWD (Person With Disability); illicit relationship with a minor; and of children [cussing]” in the film. According to Jover, board members pointed out that the film had “no redeeming value.”
Rachel Arenas, MTRCB chair, told the Inquirer: “In reviewing materials, our board members strictly follow the MTRCB guidelines, and I uphold their decision. The producer of ‘Bomba’ is requesting for a second review.”
Jover confirmed: “We were advised to write an appeal and complaint letter to the chair.”
“Bomba” is set to compete in the main section of the A-list Warsaw International Film Festival, to be held in Poland, from Oct. 13 to 22. The MTRCB had earlier slapped an X rating on another internationally acclaimed film, Jerrold Tarog’s “Bliss.”
On Thursday, the MTRCB gave “Bomba” an R-13 rating on its second review. Jover expressed gratitude for the quick resolution of the issue. “I felt relieved. We can proceed with our Warsaw premiere with a good feeling. But I still don’t agree with censorship. I am all for classification.” BAYANI SAN DIEGO JR.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.