Close  

Michael Jackson’s ex-doctor files appeal

/ 10:54 AM April 23, 2013
DID HE OR DIDN’T HE? Dr. Conrad Murray listens as defense attorney J. Michael Flanagan (not pictured) questions witness Dr. Paul White, during Murray's involuntary manslaughter trial in Los Angeles on Friday, Oct. 28, 2011. Murray has pleaded not guilty and faces four years in prison and the loss of his medical licenses if convicted of involuntary manslaughter in Michael Jackson's death. AP Photo/Paul Buck, Pool

 Dr. Conrad Murray listens as defense attorney J. Michael Flanagan (not pictured) questions witness Dr. Paul White, during Murray’s involuntary manslaughter trial in Los Angeles on Friday, Oct. 28, 2011. AP FILE PHOTO

LOS ANGELES – Michael Jackson’s jailed former doctor filed an appeal Monday against his conviction for involuntary manslaughter over the US star’s 2009 death.

Conrad Murray said prosecutors failed to prove the self-styled King of Pop was on a propofol drip the day he died from an overdose of the powerful sedative, which he was using to treat chronic insomnia.

ADVERTISEMENT

In a 231-page appeal filed by his lawyers in Los Angeles, he also alleged that the original trial judge excluded critical testimony used to convict him in November 2011.

“The jury was not allowed to learn that when Jackson died, he owed (concert promoter) AEG close to $40 million, there were more than 30 lawsuits pending against him and he owed millions of dollars” to US tax authorities, it said.

FEATURED STORIES

Prosecutors said that Murray, now 60, hooked Jackson up to a continuous Intravenous Drip (IV) and left him alone and unmonitored, when Jackson went into respiratory arrest.

But Murray’s attorney Valerie Wass said Murray had been weaning the 50-year-old Jackson off propofol for three days and only gave him a 25 milligram injection to help him sleep, before putting him on a saline drip.

The expected appeal was filed ahead of the imminent start of a long-awaited wrongful death trial in which Jackson’s mother Katherine is accusing the promoter of negligently hiring Murray to look after the singer.

Earlier this month Murray broke his silence to say he does not want to testify at the civil Katherine Jackson v AEG trial, to avoid incriminating himself for his own appeal.

Murray has always protested his innocence, saying he was trying to get Jackson off of propofol as he rehearsed in Los Angeles for the doomed “This is It” comeback series of concerts in London.

“I am an innocent man .. I maintain that innocence,” he told CNN on April 2, adding: “I am extremely sorry that Michael has passed. It’s a tremendous loss for me… he was very close to me .. we were absolutely great friends.”

ADVERTISEMENT
Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Celebrities, Conrad Murray, Michael Jackson
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
entertainment

Opening this week

July 17, 2019 12:12 AM

entertainment

A second MMFF in summer mulled

July 17, 2019 12:11 AM



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.