Showbiz Roundup: Darryl Yap, KC Concepcion, Judy Ann Santos, Gordon Ramsay
(From left) Darryl Yap, KC Concepcion, Gordon Ramsay, and Judy Ann Santos. Images: Facebook/Darryl Yap, Mark Nicdao via Instagram/@kristinaconcepcion, @officialjudayph
Despite the legal setback for his upcoming “The Rapists of Pepsi Paloma,” director-screenwriter Darryl Yap said his movie is already finished and ready for review. The film is set to premiere in theaters on February 5.
Meanwhile, KC Concepcion expressed her support for celebrity photographer Mark Nicdao after a photo of herself taken by the latter was acquired by the United States-based Getty Museum collection.
Gordon Ramsay’s visit to the Philippines also made headlines after hosting a cooking demonstration which included actress and chef Judy Ann Santos, and being impressed by content creator’s Abi Marquez culinary creation of putting his famous beef Wellington inside a lumpia wrapper.
These are the biggest entertainment news from January 17 to 23.
Pepsi Paloma film now finished — Darryl Yap
Rhed Bustamante as Pepsi Paloma; Darryl Yap. Image: Facebook/Darryl Yap
With his movie facing legal challenges and distributors pulling out, Darryl Yap announced that his Pepsi Paloma film is now finished and will be ready for review by the Movie and Television Review and Classification Board (MTRCB).
The director, who faces 19 counts of cyberlibel filed by TV host Vic Sotto, got candid about the filmmaking process through his Facebook page on Wednesday, January 22. Sotto lodged the complaint after his name was mentioned as an alleged rapist of the late 1980s sexy star in Yap’s film teaser.
“Bagamat naging masalimuot ang paggawa ng pelikula—kasama na ang pagpull-out ng mga distributors, pagbawi ng permiso para sa mga awit na gagamitin, pagharap sa mga reklamo at marami pang-iba. Natapos namin,” Yap said.
Incidentally, the MTRCB is chaired by Sotto’s niece, Lala Sotto-Antonio. The MTRCB previously said it has not yet received the movie material for review and rating.
Yap earlier slammed Arnold Clavio for supposedly preempting the decision of the MTRCB on his movie. At the same time, he expressed gratitude to those who support the project.
“Maaaring kulang sa pera at koneksyon—pero hindi kami kapos sa tapang at paninindigan,” Yap continued. “We have finished the film tonight. It will be ready for review. Malapit nang mapanood ng Pilipino ang Hubad na Katotohanan.”
Yap earlier announced that the film, which stars Rhed Bustamante as Paloma, is set for release on Feb. 5.
KC Concepcion’s photo acquired by Getty Museum
KC Concepcion. Image: Instagram/@kristinaconcepcion
A photo of KC Concepcion taken by celebrity photographer Mark Nicdao was exported to the United States as it is now part of the Getty Museum collection.
Concepcion shared Nicdao’s feat as well as her photo through her Instagram page on Monday, January 20.
“I’m beyond honored to share that a photograph of mine from 2008, captured by my dear friend and creative visionary Mark Nicdao—and wearing Puey Quiñones—has been acquired (along with his other incredible works) by none other than the iconic Getty,” she stated.
Concepcion then looked back on her friendship with Nicdao, gushing over being a part of the latter’s recent milestone.
Nicdao, for his part, showed a certificate from the National Commission for Culture and the Arts allowing him to export his printed photographs to the US.
Image: Instagram/@markednicdao
Image: Instagram/@markednicdao
The Getty Museum, located in Los Angeles, features art pieces “from ancient Greece and Italy, Europe from the Middle Ages to the early 1900s, and global photography from its invention to now,” as per its website.
Gordon Ramsay wowed by Judy Ann Santos, Abi Marquez
(From left) Gordon Ramsay, Judy Ann Santos, and Abi Marquez. Images: Instagram/@officialjudayph, @abigailfmarquez
It was a dream come true for Judy Ann Santos and content creator Abi Marquez as they had the chance to show off their cooking skills to award-winning chef Gordon Ramsay.
Ramsay visited the Philippines to visit his eponymous upscale restaurant at a hotel in Pasay City, interact with fellow chefs and food connoisseurs, host a cooking demonstration, and oversee plans to open more restaurants in the country, among other engagements.
One of the highlights of the celebrity chef’s visit was the cooking demonstration at a hotel ballroom on Monday, January 20, which included Santos, content creator Ninong Ry, and two other individuals.
During the demo, Santos, Ry, and the other participants were asked to prepare a halo-halo where they brought their respective ingredients. The award-winning actress’ interpretation of the classic dessert includes black sesame, nata de coco, fermented coconut juice, coconut milk, and cheese.
Meanwhile, Marquez took her viral “lumpia wrapper” fame a notch higher as she took on Ramsay’s challenge to make an upgrade of the latter’s signature Beef Wellington.
Ramsay’s challenge started after the “Hell’s Kitchen” host dared Marquez to put a Beef Wellington inside a lumpia wrapper in the comments section of the latter’s TikTok post, where she did a crab cake lumpia.
He was delighted when Marquez finally presented him with her version of the beef wellington, named after the English duke who bested France’s Napolean Bonaparte in the historic Battle of Waterloo.
After taking a bite of the crunchy iteration of Ramsay’s hometown favorite, he said: “Visually, wow! That looks good. Listen, I’m really sorry but I don’t like it. I f***ing love it! That is a very posh spring roll. Delicious. I’m taking this away so no one can steal it. I need a glass of wine with my lumpia.”
An excited Marquez hugged Ramsay in excitement after the latter enjoyed her dish.
Blake Lively, Ryan Reynolds sued for $400 million
Blake Lively and husband Ryan Reynolds arrive for the 2022 Met Gala at the Metropolitan Museum of Art on May 2, 2022, in New York. Image: AFP/Angela Weiss
Hollywood couple Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds are being targeted in a $400 million defamation suit by Justin Baldoni, Lively’s co-star in the bleak romance “It Ends With Us” – the latest caustic twist in the legal battle engulfing the film.
The suit from Baldoni, who also directed the film, comes weeks after Lively filed a sexual harassment complaint against him, protesting her treatment on set, and then a lawsuit accusing him of launching a retaliatory media campaign against her.
The war between the stars was dragged into the spotlight when fans noticed during the promotion of the film that they did not follow one another on social media.
It soon emerged that Lively had complained of Baldoni’s behavior on the set, accusing him of – among other things – speaking inappropriately about his sex life and seeking to add intimate scenes into the film that she had not previously agreed to.
Lively also said lead producer Jamey Heath had watched her while she was topless, despite having been asked to turn away. Then, she alleged, Baldoni ignited a PR campaign to smear her and divert attention away from complaints she might make about the men’s alleged actions.
Baldoni also sued The New York Times after it published a piece into that alleged smear campaign, including what it said were emails and texts discussing the media outcry.
Baldoni countered in the newly filed court documents that Lively hijacked the production of “It Ends With Us” and that she defamed him and, with Reynolds, sought to extort him.
The film, based on the book by Colleen Hoover, touches on issues of domestic violence and abuse.
Baldoni’s attorney Bryan Freedman added in a separate statement that “Lively will never again be allowed to continue to exploit actual victims of real harassment solely for her personal reputation gain at the expense of those without power.”
Ruffa Gutierrez mum on Herbert Bautista’s case
Ruffa Gutierrez and Herbert Bautista | Image: Screengrab from YouTube/Karen Davila
Ruffa Gutierrez is mum on the case involving her boyfriend, former Quezon City mayor and actor Herbert Bautista, who was found guilty of graft by the Sandiganbayan.
Bautista and former city administrator Aldrin Cuña were found guilty of procuring a P32 million contract for an online processing system of Quezon City’s occupational permitting and tracking system in 2019, which was done without the city council’s approval. The ruling was handed down during an arraignment on Monday, January 20.
The actor-politician and Cuña were sentenced to “an indeterminate penalty of imprisonment of six years and one month as minimum to 10 years as maximum,” and “perpetual disqualification to hold public office.”
Gutierrez made no reference to Bautista case on social media, posting only about her “glam day,” and her day trip with her mom, Annabelle Rama on her Instagram Stories on the same day.
The actress also reshared a photo of Karla Bautista watching the action drama “Incognito,” which starred her brother Richard Gutierrez and the latter’s son Daniel Padilla as the leads.
Gutierrez confirmed her relationship with Bautista in a June 2024 interview with Karen Davila, although she pointed out that she wants to keep their romance private. She nonetheless said that it has always been “serious” between the two of them.
Her last post with Bautista was during a Christmas party with the Gutierrezes.
Justin Bieber explains ‘unfollowing’ wife Hailey on IG
Justin Bieber and his wife Hailey Bieber. Image: Instagram/@haileybieber
After his supposed unfollowing of his wife Hailey Baldwin-Bieber on Instagram made headlines, Justin Bieber clarified that he did not do such and that “someone went on [his] account.”
The Canadian singer issued a statement shortly after he followed Hailey again on the platform on Tuesday, January 21.
“Someone went on my account and unfollowed my wife,” he said. “Sh*t is getting suss out here.”
Justin, however, has taken down his post but screenshots of it had already been reuploaded by netizens on social media.
Hours later, Justin shared several photos featuring Hailey and a few other individuals on his Instagram page as well.
Justin and Hailey, who first met in 2009, had an on-and-off relationship before they got engaged in 2018 at a romantic getaway in The Bahamas. The couple tied the knot in a civil ceremony in New York City in September 2018.
In May 2024, the couple revealed they were expecting their first child during their vow renewal ceremony. They welcomed their baby boy, whom they named Jack Blues, three months later.
Janno Gibbs defends VMX after Jinggoy Estrada callout
(From left) Janno Gibbs and Sen. Jinggoy Estrada. Images: Facebook/Viva Artists Agency, FILE PHOTO
Janno Gibbs stood up for VMX after Senate President Pro Tempore Jinggoy Estrada condemned the streaming platform for its alleged pornographic content and exploitation of its actors.
VMX is a Filipino content streaming service worldwide for Filipino-produced movies, TV series, concerts, and special interest titles. VMX was previously known as Vivamax, which boasts over 12 million subscribers as of December 2024.
In December 2024, Estrada condemned the subscription-based streaming service in a privilege speech for “normalizing” porn and explicit content citing its vulgar content while sharing that he received reports of alleged abuse among artists.
At a recent press conference for his upcoming VMX gag show, “Wow Mani,” Gibbs was asked about Estrada’s remarks against the platform. Gibbs is the host of the sexy gag show where he will moderate a series of games and gags with actresses.
“Senator Jinggoy is doing his job. He is doing it very well. He has all the right sa opinions [niya]. Ako, personally, opinion ko VMX is not a public viewing venue. It is a private venue. Magbabayad ka. ‘Di public eh. Naka-child lock eh, you need a card [para magbayad],” he said.
The “Fallin’” singer reiterated that the local platform’s content is also included in another streaming service while pointing out that it became a stepping stone for its stars to gain opportunities.
The Movie and Television Review and Classification Board (MTRCB) earlier admitted it has no power to limit content on streaming platforms,” where its chairperson and CEO Diorella “Lala” Sotto-Antonio said online curated content doesn’t “fall under its mandate.”
Nonetheless, the MTRCB also called the platform’s attention due to complaints about its “explicit content,” which ended with the latter saying that it would “self-regulate,” Estrada said.