Abby Arenas shares tips on how to look and feel good in ‘88 Things’ book
Beauty queen Abbygale Arenas-de Leon shared tips on exuding poise and projecting effective body language in a book tour for her book, “88 Things Every Professional Should Know… or else,” published by ABS-CBN Publishing Inc.
“I have been an image consultant for the longest time. When I realized I cannot talk to millions of people, I decided to write a book. If you open a random message [from the book], it gives you everything that a professional can do to help them,” said Arenas-de Leon, a former Bb. Pilipinas-Universe at media launch of her book.
Organized by Personi-fi Image Studio Inc., the event dubbed “Etiquette and Poise” held at Romulo Café in Quezon City, highlighted a talk from the sought-after corporate trainer as well as demonstrations on power dressing and personal grooming.
“I’d like this to be my legacy – that makeup is easy, that posture is easy, and that they are important. It can turn an unemployed person to an employed person all because of how he carries himself,” she added.
Abby’s “88 Things Every Professional Should Know… or else” book includes carefully chosen guides that “are not rules actually but are reminders” on how to make a good impression in everyday encounters. These include:
- Learning to smile the right way.Have happy thoughts, happy lines, and say the letter ‘A’ or number ‘8’ for two minutes daily for two weeks to develop that perfect smile. Not only does smile make everyone look more beautiful, it also makes people sound more pleasant.
- Achieving perfect posture using the right position of the neck, shoulders, lower back, and legs. She said that the body is just too heavy to be carried by just one leg; posture is when we balance our weight using both legs.
- Leaning forward. Whether for business or social gatherings, a forward lean will help lessen the distance between you and another person, which reflects your interest and casts importance to the person you are talking to.
- Making eye contact. A very powerful gesture to show that you value the time and presence of the person you are talking to.
- Exuding poise. Simply put, poise is a conscious and controlled effort to move, stand, or perform an act gracefully. This projects a confident and refined way of carrying one’s self.
The book’s latest edition includes manners and etiquette reminders, food and dining guide, and keys to wellness and taking care of one’s body. The handy manual also features tips on how to avoid fashion misdemeanors and conversational pitfalls, and how to control attitude and behavior in public.
A former model and professional makeup artist, Arenas-de Leon is a certified image consultant recognized by the Association of Image Consultants International.
The book is available in leading newsstands and bookstores nationwide for P345.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.