Hello there, Swissy! What’s up?
Singer, songwriter and guitarist, Swissy, in fact, was one of the very first artists I got to interview. The title of my first article on her was “Spotlight on Swissy” more than three years ago (November 2, 2012). Naturally, in that span of time, a lot can transpire. That is why I thought it would be a good idea to touch base and catch up with her once more.
However, this article will be more casual in nature and the questions posed to her will not necessarily be musicrelated but on a variety of other topicsfrom the mundane to more serious matters. Surely, many of her loyal fans have been wondering what has been going on with Swissy lately because she is already based in Australia and rarely gets the chance to perform here–meaning once a year or so, every time she decides to take a vacation here in the Philippines. This article is also for her fans who would want to know her more on a “personal level.”
Here is my followup piece on Swissy:
- What music are you listening to now?
Swissy: A few Spotify playlists on loop consisting of Bill Withers, Tower of Power, Chet Baker, young MJ and 90’s dance music.
- If you could play one instrument you aren’t able to now, what would it be and why?
Swissy: Bass because it’s one of those instruments that I’ve always wanted to learn but found difficult to play… and because it just looks really cool.
- What are your favorite kinds of movies? What was the last movie you watched?
Swissy: You can’t go wrong with a good documentary and Marvel films. Last film I saw was XMen Apocalypse.
- How would you survive a zombie apocalypse?
Swissy: Make sure I’m one of Rick Grimes’ people.
- What’s your favorite holiday and why?
Swissy: Going to Manila because I get to see my friends and relive the crazy good times I had while I was living there.
- If you could bring back anyone from the dead, who would it be and why?
Swissy: One of my bestest friends, Ronnie Dizon, because he had so much left to give and because I just miss him.
- Aside from making music, what are your other passions?
Swissy: Food, movies and dancing!
- What are your three favorite albums? Why?
Swissy: I generally like 12 songs from every album so this is a hard question. If I were to choose though, I think:
‘Abbey Road’ by The Beatles reminds me of my childhood.
‘Riot on an empty Street’ by Kings of Convenience quiet, melodic, love their voices and harmonies.
‘Spice of Life’ by D’Sound because Simone speaks to me in this album.
- Do you like cooking and what’s your favorite dish to cook and eat?
Swissy: I go through phases of cooking, then not cooking for months! It doesn’t come naturally to me and I can only cook basic stuff like fried rice and pasta. I like baking but again, don’t do it very often. The fanciest thing I baked was a coconut torte with raspberries and a creme anglaise yum. As far as eating goes, I love brunch!
- What is your favorite book now?
Swissy: I don’t have one at the moment but the one book that has stayed in my mind is “The Tao of Pooh.”
- If you could speak another language, which would it be and why?
Swissy: German because I started learning in uni and didn’t finish the course.
- How would you spend a billion dollars?
Swissy: I’d share it with my family, friends and charity.
- If you could master one skill you don’t have right now, what would it be?
Swissy: Right now? Cooking!
- If you could have one super power, what would it be and how would you use it?
Swissy: The ability to predict the future so I can win the lottery!
- If you could time travel, would you go to the past or the future?
- Who’s your personal hero?
Swissy: My family and friends.
- What dream have you had resonated most with you?
Swissy: A recent dream I had of Ronnie holding my hand and making me laugh like he used to.
- What’s the best concert you’ve ever been to?
Swissy: Tough one. I think it would be toss up between Kings of Convenience and D’ Sound show, both in Manila!
- What is “home” to you?
Swissy: Home is where I’m comfortable. Home is where I am right now.
- What words of wisdom would you pass on to your childhood self?
Swissy: Only YOU know what’s best for you.
The hottest entertainment news straight to your inbox
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.