Yasmien Kurdi agrees to withdraw lawsuits vs Baron Geisler
“Now he appears here repentant. I forgive him,” said actress-singer Yasmien Kurdi, who agreed to withdraw the criminal cases she filed against controversial actor Baron Geisler, after the latter issued a public apology on Tuesday night.
After quoting a verse from the Bible, Kurdi said she will pray that Geisler “has truly been rehabilitated and that he will no longer repeat to anyone the unfortunate acts that have led to my filing of the charges.”
After seeing that Baron has noticeably changed, Kurdi said she’s now “willing to forgive and forget.”
Kurdi filed the cases—two counts of acts of lasciviousness and one count of unjust vexation—against Geisler before the Municipal Trial Court of Bocaue, Bulacan, in 2009.
In January this year, Geisler filed a motion before the Bocaue Regional Trial Court, seeking a dismissal of the MTC case. His request was denied in September.
“I am sorry for the misunderstanding between Yasmien (and I) that brought about the filing of the criminal charges against me,” Geisler said, reading a statement during a media gathering in a bar in Quezon City. “As many of you already know, I just finished my rehabilitation program for my alcohol problem…”
Turning a new leaf
Geisler, 28, added that it’s time for him to turn in a new leaf. He said he has changed a lot during and after his 90-day stay in the rehabilitation facility Penuel Home in San Juan. “I realized many things. A lot of my prayers have been answered. I’m here to make amends and make friends, and to really learn from this misunderstanding.”
For her part, Kurdi said, “It is time for me to leave this sordid affair behind … and move on. I thank those who have stood by me during these trying times… I wish Mr. Geisler all the best in his efforts to make a new life for himself and his career.”
Kurdi’s legal counsel Ferdie Topacio said he’s grateful to Geisler for “humbling himself enough to make an apology. This has been a learning experience for all of us.”
Kurdi, 22, said the court battle had been physically and emotionally draining for her.
One of Geisler’s legal counsels, RP Santiago, said, “At one point, when both parties already felt that the cases were dragging on, we sat down to discuss the root cause of the problem and try to come up with a win-win solution. We asked what terms would be acceptable to Kurdi that would also be acceptable to us.”
Topacio said Geisler’s decision to go into rehab paved the way to resolving the problem. “When I first saw him appear in court, he was defiant. He said, ‘Why would I apologize when I did nothing wrong?’ The new Baron is very different. Iba na ang aura niya. He said he was ready to apologize.”
Another hearing is set in November, said Santiago. “By that time we expect Yasmien to appear and file a desistance.”
Geisler is also facing an act of lasciviousness case filed by Patrizia Maree Martinez, daughter of actor William Martinez, in 2008. Her family rejected an out-of-court settlement Geisler offered the same year. “We can’t talk about this yet because it’s still in court. We might get reprimanded,” said Carlo Bonifacio Alentajan, another legal counsel for Geisler.
Only this January, actress Cherry Pie Picache accused Geisler of sexual harassment and filed a complaint before the Philippine Artists Managers, Inc. (Pami), which in turn ordered Geisler to issue a public apology to Picache. The group also prohibited artists, who are managed by Pami members, from working with Geisler until he is “fully rehabilitated.”
“Tapos na po ’yong kay Ms Pie,” Geisler said. “I’ve read some of the positive comments she said about me. I now look forward to new opportunities. I hope for a positive outcome.”
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.