Johnny Midnight: Radio broadcaster, healer
MANILA, Philippines – Radio broadcaster Johnny Midnight, who is John William Xerez Burgos Joseph Jr. in real life, succumbed to prostrate cancer Monday night at age 73. Midnight is remembered by his listeners for his radio show, Midnight Connection where he allegedly healed people through “toning” and “pyramiding”.
Below are some fast facts about Johnny Midnight:
- Johnny Midnight was recognized by then President Ferdinand Marcos for his initiative on raising funds for the victims of the Ruby Tower collapse.
Johnny Midnight was born on March 31, 1941 in Bacolod City. He first worked as a radio broadcaster in ABS-CBN. On Aug.1, 1968, a magnitude 7.3 earthquake rocked Manila and Midnight was the first one who aired the story to the public. The Ruby Tower, which is in Binondo, collapsed and killed 260 people. Midnight then rallied his listeners to raise funds for the victims and families of those who were killed. President Marcos gave him a Presidential Humanitarian Award of the First Order for his efforts.
- With the declaration of Martial Law in 1972, Johnny Midnight became a dishwasher for Alba restaurant.
Johnny Midnight was left jobless as ABS-CBN was shut down by the Marcos dictatorship during Martial law. As such, he worked as a dishwasher, waiter, and then the manager of Alba restaurant in Makati City.
- Midnight returned to the airwaves in 1980 and introduced “toning” and “pyramiding” healing.DZBB offered Johnny Midnight his own show which airs at midnight in 1980 where he introduced “toning” and “pyramiding” healing techniques. The radio broadcaster would chant incantations at the stroke of midnight for 15 minutes. After speaking in tongues, listeners will drink their “enrgized” water.On Sept. 28, 1981, Midnight officiated the “First Connector’s Live Toning Session” at the Araneta Coliseum attended by his followers. The healing session was met with widespread protests from the Roman Catholic and Born Again Christian groups.
- He started his own “Temple of Man” where he continued his alleged healing practices.
After his show “Midnight Connection” was suspended, Midnight transferred to various radio stations. He also started his own temple where he continued his healing practices. In 2005, Midnight was shot by one of his patients. He was wounded at the hip.
- Midnight allegedly bribed PDEA officials after his son was embroiled in a high profile drug case in 2008.
On Sept. 19, 2008, the “Alabang Boys” drug case made the headlines where three suspects were nabbed in a buy-bust operation. Sixty Ecstasy tablets, packets of marijuana and sachets of cocaine were found. Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency operatives arrested Joseph Tecson, Richard Brodett and Midnight’s son, Jorge Joseph.
Major Ferdinand Marcelino of PDEA accused Midnight and family members of the suspects of bribing PDEA officials for their release.
Sources: The Tusculoosa News, Youtube clips, Inquirer archives
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.