Journey may go on hiatus after 2016By Allan Policarpio
Philippine Daily Inquirer
MANILA, Philippines–American rock band Journey may go on a two- to three-year hiatus after they finish their commitments with entertainment company Live Nation Entertainment in 2016, said Filipino frontman Arnel Pineda.
“We might take a break after 2016, and who knows what will happen after that,” he told the Inquirer during his launch as the ambassador of Puregold’s “Tindahan ni Aling Puring” campaign Friday.
Asked if the band will resume touring after the hiatus, Pineda said he wasn’t certain. “It depends if there’s still a demand for us to be up onstage . . . If there’s clamor from fans for us to perform in different places, then we’ll go out…We’ll cross that bridge when we get to it,” Pineda added.
The 45-year-old Filipino rock star, who joined Journey in 2007, has been in the country for a little over a month after holding shows in Singapore, Japan, New Zealand and Australia earlier this year. Pineda is currently preparing for a series of gigs in the United Kingdom and Germany, which kicks off May 16.
Pineda said that he’ll probably spend the break promoting his solo album, which he’s currently working on. “I already have 12 songs which I’ve recorded in my home studio,” he related.
Meanwhile, he explained the reason behind cancellation of Journey’s Manila concert that was supposed to be held on March 21 at the SM Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City. “It’s because of sluggish ticket sales. I think it was just wrong timing—kids were graduating and people were preparing for Holy Week.”
“I was disappointed because I was very much looking forward to [the show],” Pineda said, adding that the Manila concert may push through in 2015. “But I hope we can do it sooner.”
Recent Stories:Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.