Filipino nanny takes on US actress Sharon Stone
More News from Agence France-Presse
LOS ANGELES—A US judge cleared the way Friday for a former Filipino nanny of actress Sharon Stone to go to trial against the actress for wrongful dismissal and harassment, including racist abuse.
Lawyers for Erlinda Elemen, who worked as a live-in nanny for the “Basic Instinct” star until she was sacked in 2011, announced last year that she was suing the actress.
Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Mary Strobel ruled that Elemen’s lawyers had provided enough evidence to support her allegations of harassment, failure to prevent harassment, retaliation and wrongful termination.
“We’re pleased the judge recognized that the plaintiff’s claims should proceed,” said lawyer Solomon Gresen, adding: “We look forward to our July trial date.”
The trial is tentatively set for July 30.
Stone’s lawyers sought to have the case dismissed, arguing that comments made by the actress did not amount to harassment.
“All we have is that Ms Stone made comments about Filipino food, Filipino accents,” said lawyer Daniel Gutenplan.
When the lawsuit was announced in May, the actress’s publicist slammed the legal action as “absurd,” claiming the ex-nanny was simply trying to “cash in” on Stone.
The lawsuit claimed the star equated being Filipino with being stupid, and ordered her not to speak in front of her children so they would not “talk like you.”
Stone also banned Elemen from reading the Bible in Stone’s home, even though she lived with her to look after the actress’s three children, and frequently traveled with them.
From August 2010, Elemen “was repeatedly subjected to derogatory comments and slurs by (Stone) related to her Filipino ethnicity and heritage,” said the 17-page lawsuit.
Elemen, who was hired in October 2006 and was promoted to head live-in nanny two years later, was dismissed in February 2011, after Stone learned she had been paid overtime when traveling with the children and on holidays.
The lawsuit asks for an unspecified amount for unpaid wages, damages and penalties, and is seeking a trial by jury.
In 2011, the actress was ordered to pay $232,000 in compensation to a worker who injured his knee after slipping and falling in her backyard in 2006.
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94