Sarah Geronimo’s musical variety show on ABS-CBN “Sarah G. Live” aired its final episode on Sunday. The network, in an official statement released on Wednesday, said the move was done to allow Sarah to focus on other projects lined up for her this year, which include a judging stint on “The Voice of the Philippines,” a drama anthology and a movie with John Lloyd Cruz.
The 24-year-old singer-actress has just renewed her contract with ABS-CBN.
The sudden announcement surprised not a few fans, some of who are still holding tickets to the show’s Feb. 24 episode. Asked about the seemingly premature end of “Sarah G. Live,” ABS-CBN corporate communications head Bong Osorio told the Inquirer that “the show wasn’t cancelled, but has simply ran its course.”
“Sarah already hinted in last week’s episode that she will be having an important announcement,” Osorio said. “We had to issue a statement because of rumors and speculations preempting her announcement.”
Osorio also denied that low ratings was to blame. “The show ended on a high note. It’s just that Sarah will be busy with other projects, especially those which involve acting,” he said.
Sarah, a talent of Viva Entertainment, started hosting “Sarah G. Live” on Feb. 26 last year.
Meanwhile, Viva executive June Rufino told the Inquirer that no statement would be coming out from their camp, and declined to divulge details about the show’s demise.
She, however, said that “the decision to end the show was mutually agreed upon by both Viva and ABS-CBN.”