Cliff Richard returns to Manila ‘Still Reelin’ and A-Rockin’
More News from INQUIRER.net
MANILA, Philippines — Sir Cliff Richard OBE, with over 250 million records sold worldwide and a ceaseless performance schedule spanning 54 years of his career, is set to return to Manila with his greatest hits-packed concert tour, Cliff Richard: Still Reelin’ and A-Rockin’ – Live in Manila on February 28 at the Araneta Coliseum.
Celebrating his 54th anniversary in the music business this year, Cliff Richard is indisputably Britain’s all-time greatest hit-maker – the ultimate pop star. No other UK band or solo artist is even close to equaling his 123 single hits.
As the sixties got underway Richard was dominating the airwaves with such indelible hits as Constantly, Living Doll, Please Don’t Tease, Bachelor Boy, Lucky Lips, When The Girl In Your Arms Is The Girl In Your Heart, Don’t Talk To Him, Do You Want To Dance, On The Beach, I Could Easily Fall, The Day I Met Marie, The Minute You’re Gone, All My Love and Congratulations, his constant presence in our lives bolstered by smash box office films The Young Ones, Summer Holiday and Wonderful Life.
In the seventies he continued as a primary chart force with hits such as Devil Woman, We Don’t Talk Anymore and Carrie then into the eighties with Ocean Deep, Dreamin’, Wired For Sound, Daddy’s Home, Living Doll (with the Young Ones TV cast) and Some People.
There reaches a point where the recounting of the man’s achievements is too towering a task to attempt.
So let it be said that the singer born Harry Rodger Webb in Lucknow, India on Oct. 14, 1940:
* recorded Britain’s first real rock’n’roll record (Move It) and has gone on to lodge more than 130 other releases in the UK charts,
* that he holds with Elvis Presley the honour of having made the UK singles chart in every one of its first six decades,
* that he is the biggest selling singles artist in the UK ever, spent 21 years in the British charts,
* that he has notched up almost two score British number one hits,
* that he has been included on the new century listing of the 100 Greatest Britons,
* that he conceived and starred in the stage musical Heathcliff (written by Sir Tim Rice and Australian John Farrar) which played to audiences of more than half a million, that he has had eight top forty America hits, including the million-selling Devil Woman and We Don’t Talk Anymore, and
* that he has been in the Australian Top 10 on 25 occasions.
Get Inquirer updates while on the go, add us on these apps:
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94