Duran Duran cancels US concert, Rhodes needs restBy Wayne Parry
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey – The illness of keyboardist Nick Rhodes forced the last-minute cancellation of rock group Duran Duran’s Saturday night concert at Atlantic City’s Revel.
The chart-topping 1980s English band has been on the road for nearly two straight years in support of their new album “All You Need Is Now,” and the pace has taken its toll on Rhodes.
The casino, Atlantic City’s newest, said Rhodes has been sick for a few says and saw a doctor Saturday who advised him not to perform Saturday night. In a news release, Rhodes said doctors told him he could be suffering from exhaustion.
The casino said the band is considering playing the show in the next few days, so fans should hold onto their tickets and wait for an official announcement of a re-scheduled date.
“I have struggled through the last few nights, hoping that I could simply work through this,” Rhodes said. “But today I felt so unwell, I had to see a doctor.
“We absolutely hate to disappoint our incredibly loyal fans and cancel a show at the last minute, but unfortunately the doctor has strongly recommended that this is what we do on this occasion. So it is with enormous regret that we are unable to perform in Atlantic City tonight,” Rhodes said.
The casino was not informed that the band would be cancelling until 7 p.m. Saturday — after many fans had already arrived with tickets.
The band is best known for their 1980s MTV videos, including “Rio” and “Girls On Film.”
The show was to take place at the casino’s 5,000-seat Ovation Hall.
Revel opened in April. It featured four concerts by Beyonce at its grand opening over Memorial Day weekend.
Recent Stories:Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.