Locarno loves Lav
Pinoy filmmaker, who will head the jury in Swiss film fest, prays deliberations won’t be bloody
More News from Philippine Daily Inquirer
Filipino filmmaker Lav Diaz is primed for jury duty. Diaz, recently named president of the jury of the Concorso Internationale (international competition) of the Locarno film fest, told Inquirer in an e-mail interview: “I’m ready to work. The position is immaterial. I’m happy [to be] involved in the greater discourse on cinema.”
Being chosen as jury president of the top-tier fest was “an acknowledgment of Philippine cinema’s vigor,” he said. “[Foreigners] know that we are doing things here.”
The global fest is set Aug. 7 to 17. “I’ll be watching new works. I’ll be part of the cinema commune again—entering the dark, entering different worlds, entering the eternal discourse on truth.” He will be joined in the jury by Swiss critic Matthias Brunner, Chilean producer Juan de Dios Larrain, French actress-director Valerie Donzelli and Greek filmmaker Yorgos Lanthimos.
Tribute to producer
“I will be working with very diverse, astute personalities,” Diaz pointed out. “I just hope the discussions won’t be bloody.”
Diaz’s films will be featured at Locarno. Fresh from Cannes, “Norte, Hangganan ng Kasaysayan” will be shown in The Juries section; his 2001 work “Batang West Side,” in History and Memory. The “Batang West Side” screening is a fitting tribute to producer Tony Veloria, who passed away in a bus mishap last year.
Diaz said, “Years ago, Tony donated a copy of ‘Batang West Side’ to the Vienna Film Museum. Now it’s going to be resurrected.” (It will also be screened at Cinemalaya on Aug. 3, at the Dream Theater of the Cultural Center of the Philippines).
Apart from Diaz’s films, five by compatriot Raya Martin will be screened at Locarno: “How to Disappear Completely,” “The Great Cinema Party,” “A Short Film about the Indio Nacional,” “Boxing in the Philippine Islands” and “Buenos Noches, España.” Diaz noted, “Raya’s works have a strong following in the festival circuit.”
“Norte” was screened at the 13th T-Mobile New Horizons fest in Wroclaw, Poland yesterday, and again on July 26.
Diaz said he was in preparations for two new projects, but that shooting schedules had not been fixed.
Get Inquirer updates while on the go, add us on these apps:
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94